on 25 June 2015
I loved reading this. I read the book (loaned from my mum) & unfortunately the pages fell out, I managed to finnish it though before binning it, but I had to buy it again as I know I want to read this again.
on 23 December 2013
Simply the best book about Greece/Athens, I can't praise it enough. One of those books I really couldn't put down. The book is filled with cultural references and words that Greeks use that you won't learn anywhere else! Using these and understanding their true meaning (sometimes different to what you think) will make you seem like a native in no time. The descriptions of all the Athenian suburbs will also make you feel much more comfortable when you are actually there.

The story is also very interesting, I couldn't put the book down because I wanted to find out what was going to happen next, being true makes it even better. It helps that Sofka is a naturally brilliant writer, her descriptions of Athens and Greece will make you feel like you are there with her. I can't wait to read some of her fiction, I'm so glad I stumbled upon this little gem of a book :)

If you're interested in Greece/Athens and its everyday culture and people, this is the book for you.
on 10 May 2013
Yet another book well written on the lives of some of the Greek people in Athens, we love Greece and travel there every year and this book gives us an insight on what makes the Greeks tick
on 24 June 2010
An interesting and thought-provoking work. The author is well-connected, and her explanations of some of her experiences filled in some gaps for me.

a good read.
on 24 August 2013
once I'd discovered this author couldn't wait to read her other books. however should have read this before House on Paradise Street not that it mattered really
on 24 September 2013
Once more another good book this time - about a young lady who returned to Greece with her Greek husband and 2 children. Very enjoyable.
on 11 May 2016
A good read which tells the story of Greek life in Athens
on 15 May 2010
I lived in Athens over 25 years ago and I bought this book to take with me on my holiday to Corfu. From the first page it took me on a revivial of my days in Athens;how I loved and sometimes loathed that city, the fun I had in my youth, the friends I made and the things that made me smile then made me smile again. Above all the joy of understanding the fierce pride that is "greekness". It made me realise how much I have missed the Greek way of life and how superior it is to that in the UK.

I recommend this book so highly to anyone planning to travel to Greece to understand the Greek culture and mentality.

It is written with style, with humour and with passion and is one of the best books I have read in years.

Bravo Sophia!
on 22 January 2011
I lived in Athens in 2009 /10 and read this book on my return. I enjoyed it immensely. I lived with Greek people and got to learn about their customs and habits. This book reminded me of many of the things that I witnessed through all the seasons of the year and helped me appreciate the culture better.
on 23 March 2013
It's not often that you get a book about Athens so just for rarity value I found this fascinating. Well written.