on 13 March 2007
I have tended to read books of the mountains when skiing each year and this book was fantastic in its ability to explain why we take risks and why people climb mountains. It was great to read then go up into the mountains and it gave me a completely different appreciation of where I was. Bravo!
on 24 March 2015
I have read and re-read this book so many times at so many different place for some many different reasons - for references for studies into glaciers and landscape - into artists and authors - into the times in which it is set - and there is always something I didn't notice before.
on 8 October 2013
Did not want to finish reading this masterpiece of the story of the mountains. Bursting with interesting factual detail, woven across a huge geological time line and with just enough personal anecdote to enliven the journey, this brings non-fiction to the top of my reading list.
on 21 October 2013
This book is a really well researched piece of work and borders on being an academic piece of work. However the human stories that run through it make is such an adictive read from start to finish. opens the eyes on our changing views of the high places.
on 5 April 2013
I bought this book on the basis of a TV programme of the author going on a trip to Essex and visiting Walnut Tree Farm,having just read Roger Deakins books I thought I might have found another interesting author and I was right, an abhsorbing book
on 6 November 2015
Extremes of beauty and fear. Incomprehensible mind-set of pain-seeking thrill-loving frost-bitten cold-blinded ice-climbers. Arm-chair ride over layers and folds of geological space-time. Fleeting encounter with a snow-white hare. What a read!
on 26 April 2015
Macfarlane writes, as many others have said, like an angel, and if you have any interest in mountains then this tour of the rise of interest in mountains and why they exercise a changing hold on our imagination should be on your shelves.
on 24 October 2013
this is not jus a book about mountains, MacFarlane covers a broad range of topics, including art, culture and philosophy. a very well informed and beautifully written book. thoroughly enjoyed and already recommended to several people !!
on 9 January 2014
This is an eloquently written book that describes the beauty, spirituality and challenges of climbing in the mountains over the centuries. Macfarlane has written a moving account that will, I hope, be read for years to come.
on 10 July 2012
A fascinating read about the Western fascination with mountains and mountain-climbing over the last 400 years. Some of the stories are thoroughly eye-watering and vertigo-inducing so I shall remain an armchair enthusiast!