Format: Hardcover|Change

I have perhaps been quite spoilt with the cookery books I use and own but I found this book lacking both in terms of looks (i.e. lack of photos) as well as substance.

To give you a brief overview of the book, it’s divided into 5 main sections:

On the grill
In the pan
In the oven
Raw, cured and salads
Mayonnaise and other basics

I have uploaded a typical recipe page to give you an idea of what the pages look like both with and without the images.

The majority of the recipes are quite clear and easy to follow with ingredients and timings split out on one side, and a clear series of instructions on the other.

I was hoping for this book to give me some inspirational fish recipes as well as how to fillet and prepare fish as it’s one area of my cooking that is weak.

There are no how to guides anywhere, despite some of the recipes calling for you to prepare the fish / shellfish (although they do note “ask your fishmonger” which is fair enough for most I guess).

I always find it a challenge too when a number of the main recipes do not have an accompanying image, I find this so important not only for inspiration when deciding what to cook, but also for guidance when cooking/plating as to what I am aiming for.

I did receive some other books on Fish at Christmas which I preferred (including Fish by Tom Aikens). I think this book is good if you want a few regular fish recipes and don’t mind the absence of images with some main recipes, but for those wanting some advice on fish prep too, then there are better options.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
on 7 July 2015
I'm on a clean diet which has a lot of fish it it. This book is inspirational. Ok it may have more rich recipes in it but the ingredients can be amended. The food is delicious and easy. A great buy!
on 22 May 2012
Restaurateur, fishmonger, food writer and self taught cook (as well as being an ex-accountant) Mitch Tonks has written a new book, Fish Easy, promising over 100 simple, 30 minute fish recipes, most of which are pictured.

The recipes are arranged by cooking style: on the grill, in the pan, in the oven, raw cured and salads, and finally a chapter on mayonnaise and other basics. The simpler recipes are presented very straightforwardly in just a page of larger font. More complicated recipes are shown traditionally, with a list of ingredients and detailed instructions. As the essence of fish cooking is fresh ingredients and simple preparation, none of the recipes are particularly long or complicated.

I can't imagine not being inspired by this book - if not to follow the recipes as written, then just to use them as a starting point for your own creations. This is not to say the recipes don't look interesting: I'm very keen on trying sea bass with clams and sherry, sardine fritters with caper mayonnaise, fish in salt pastry with lemon, garlic and rosemary, monkfish with sage and roasted garlic, and especially the recipe for salt cod - one of my favourites;an entrant to my all time best dishes was salt cod at Petersham Nurseries. About the only recipe not included is one for fish pie, which I suppose sums up the book not doing the obvious.
on 4 October 2012
I love how this book is laid out with simple instructions for cooking, 'what to ask from the fishmonger' sections and the chapters organised in cooking methods - very helpful! I love how quick a lot of these recipes are and the fact that all the recipes are using sustainable fish is very reassuring. Mitch Tonks is the king of cooking fish!
on 18 April 2012
I bought this book because I enjoyed Mitch's previous book, 'Fish', so much. I particularly like the 30 minute angle - sometimes you just don't have time to slave for hours, but still want a delicious fish dish! Highly recommended.
on 4 October 2012
Lovely recipes and really easy to follow . Simple yet very tasty! Unlike a lot of fish books he relies on good, well sourced, fish to be the star of the recipe. The rest of the ingredients are simple and easy to find. Well worth a look.
on 12 April 2013
this book gives me everything i need its good to look at to see what foods look like when cooked , plenty of recipies for dirrerent choices of fish,
on 22 June 2014
the book is excellant, myt husband is a chef and is really pleased with the quick and easy dishes and would recommend to fish lovers
on 16 April 2012
i'm a huge fan of Mitch Tonks and have all of his fish recipe books at home...they are well thumbed through and used! i like that the recipes in his new book are quick and easy to make and follow. will definitely have fun cooking from here for friends and family.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 6 December 2013
This has some delicious recipes in it but though many of them are technically easy, they do require access to a high-class fishmonger with a full variety of produce: so this moves beyond the standard fish to include cuttlefish, brill, octopus and gurnard.

The book is divided according to cooking method: so grilled fish, pan-cooked, oven baked or roasted, and raw, cured or in salads. Not all the recipes have photos which is a shame as I like to see what the final product will look like.

I was disappointed that there are so few prawn and salmon recipes (only 1 prawn dish though they appear in other mixed seafood recipes, only 2 salmon dishes, one of which is a basic poached salmon), but the pan-roasted sticky chilli prawns is divine!

So this feels to me like an `occasion' book rather than one for everyday meals, not because the recipes themselves are necessarily difficult or fiddly but because they depend on fresh prepared fish requiring a specific visit to a fishmonger.

(This review is from an ARC courtesy of the publisher)