VINE VOICEon 17 August 2007
Admittedly I wasn't sure how interesting this book would be as it is centred around the diaries of Pamela Mountbatten but actually it is utterly compelling and very addictive. I really enjoyed reading about the protocol and ceremonies that went on and also the observations Pamela Mountbatten noted about the central figures during partition - the photographs taken from the archives are worth a look.
on 28 January 2013
This book was interesting to someone like me who was born just as the sun set on the Indian Empire. What is disappointing is that having read the book Daughter of Empire by the same author I realise with dismay that there had been quite a bit of cut and paste in the later book from this book. There were some errors here and there which I found surprising. Obviously this book is written by a partial observer, namely the daughter of Mountbatten...history has shown however that a lot of what happened can be blamed on expediency and his high opinion of himself and that he was easily influenced. Had matters been allowed to take a little longer events would have changed the course of the outcome....Jinnah was dying but in secret. The world is now left with a failed state or very nearly one that has become the hunting ground for terrorism and zealotry and mischief which is exported globally and into India...consider the tragedy in Mumbai in November 2008. Things should have been done differently and history will not be kind to Mountbatten, Nehru or Jinnah...I grew up in post independent India and return there annually so am aware of the current situation. In my own trilogy I speak of modern India and the challenges she faces as a country and indeed the heartening progress.
on 4 February 2009
I bought this book thinking I would be able to get some insight into the last few years of the British rule in India. However, it must be remembered that the author was only a teenager and thus not privy to most of the meetings. Therefore, all we hear about is the personal lives of the Mountbattens. So if that is what you are looking for, the day to day lives of the Mountbattens, then it's a good book. Otherwise it is just a good collection of pictures.
on 3 April 2013
I am enjoying this book immensly. My Father was asked by his employer to go to India in 1946 the year I was born, he having been abroad in Ceylon with the RAF during the war. We did not go as my parents had been apart for years during the war and as I was a small baby they could not take me for some time, so Dad refused the job. So I have been interested to read about the Indian troubles at this time.
on 27 August 2007
Pamela takes us through some of the most critical moments in Indian History. She did justice to the history and to the great people who were around her during that time. She did it with honesty and courage. Thanks Pamela.
on 10 November 2013
I got this for my mother and she tells me it's a fantastic and insightful read of the period. Intelligently written. Pamela Hicks has just published a follow up book and we will be getting that too.
on 20 March 2015
very interesting account of the time by someone who was involved and therefore had
an interest in writing about the events
on 11 December 2013
Of interest to anyone interested in the History of the closing days of The Indian Empire and its principal families
on 23 January 2015