Customer reviews

on 13 May 2017
I have always found it difficult to entertain veggies with carnivores, but this bikini is a delight. Always easier to give the carnivores a vegetarian treat, and this is the book for that. Thank you CBB.
on 28 October 2003
While pondering what to feed 2 visiting vegetarians last weekend, I came across an article featuring the recipes of this author. I tried her sweet onion ricotta cheesecake with cranberries and sage, followed by chocolate truffle topped with strawberries dipped in white chocolate. I was impressed by the simplicity of preparation and the great results and my guests were bowled over to be served something unusual and delicious.
on 8 November 2014
Fantastic book. As a vegan I take my recipes from where I can get them. (I find meat eaters create the most tasty vegan meals!) This book is a gem unlike a dull new vegan cookbook, 'Keep it Vegan by Aine Carlin which I bought from Amazon at the same time as this one way and have given away, I have a huge vat of Parsnip & Coconut soup bubbling away which is so wonderful I feel that this one recipe alone justifies the purchase of the book. I avoid the fish recipes at the back of the book but we vegans are used to opening magazines and seeing slaughtered things everywhere.
on 22 May 2005
As I was browsing through the Amazon pages, I was horrified to find how few stars this book received. To get to the bottom of this, I went on to read the reviews, and I must say that the one-star reviewer has a lot to answer for.
While I consider 'fish-eating vegetarians' pescatarians rather than vegetarians, I find this debate about what makes a model vegetarian, completely immaterial to the quality of a cookbook.
What matters to me is whether the recipes are reliable and tasty, whether the recipes are original (because I have already a great number of cook books, and therefore am covered for all the basics), nice pictures and presentation are an added bonus (though many of the greatest books are conspicuously plain), and compelling prose can turn a good cookery book into a great one.
I admit, that C. Brooks-Brown's prose, whilst perfectly pleasant, is not on par with that of Elisabeth David for example, but then again, I don't think that she is aiming for that.
The quality of the recipes are quite outstanding, however. It's one of my most frequently used cookery books, because I have not found a single recipe that didn't work. Just to name a few: the potato strudel is delicious, so are the 'sugar beans', and the wholewheat cheese pancakes have become a weekend staple.
In addition, there are plenty of ideas for vegans, and you can mix and match many of the dishes to suit your needs. The pictures are extremely generous and captivating.
The recipes are easy enough for beginners and every-day use, but original and tasty enough for entertaining, and the more experienced cook.
It's easily one of my top three vegetarian books, so I am going to give it a much-deserved star booster.
11 Comment| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 November 2014
Don't be put off by the narrow-minded reviews saying you shouldn't buy this book because it contains some fish-recepies. Instead I say thank Celia Brooks Brown eru much for opening my mind (and tastebuds!) with this sublime, simple and very tastefull cookbook. Some of her vegan (yes, she goes further than only vegetarian meals) recepies are to good to be true. Try for instance the beetroot & coconut-soup and you'll become so happy that you'll never complain anymore about the 5 fish- recepies in the last chapter "When they do eat fish".
on 2 March 2005
I disagree with the reviewer who gave this book one star for including fish recipes. I am a vegetarian who doesn't eat fish, but I do understand that some people do. Plus, the idea of the book (as I read it) is that it's written for non-vegetarians, to give them inspiring recipes to cook for their vegetarian friends and relatives, and they would hopefully know whether the people they are cooking for eat fish. The author goes into detail in introducing the 'Pescatarian' chapter about her decision to include fish recipes, and it takes up a small part of the book.
Anyway, the rest of the book is packed with delicious and inventive recipes. I particularly liked the Cranberry Torte with Toffee Sauce, and the Apple Marzipan Muffins. There's good advice about catering for large groups as well. Celia Brooks-Brown steers clear of the roasted peppers/goat cheese vegetarian recipes that are omnipresent, and for that alone I'm grateful. I'd rather my meat-eating friends bought this book for inspiration and instruction than Delia's Vegetarian book before I was coming to supper.
I still can't work out whether the 'Entertaining' in the title is a verb or an adjective though...
on 12 June 2015
Very good recipe book for the occasional dinner or party.
VINE VOICEon 17 April 2007
Like many of the other reviewers, I was very disgruntled to find that a 'vegetarian' book included fish. I am really tired of having to point out that fish are NOT vegetables and that I - or any other vegetarian - would not eat them! The title of the book is therefore misleading and does vegetarians no favours at all. However, the truly vegetarian recipes are excellent, and many have become absolute household staples, especially when feeding the masses. I still prefer the author's 'New Vegetarian', however, which lives up to its name.
on 31 October 2004
I'm amazed to see a book called "Entertaining Vegetarians" including fish recipes. Vegetarians do NOT eat fish, contrary to what the "vegetarians" who eat fish may tell you - just ask the Vegetarian Society. By including fish recipes this book is only adding to the myth. It's likely to cause confusion and embarrassment for cooks who are being led by this book to believe they're cooking food that is suitable for vegetarians.
on 2 January 2009
As a 'vegetarian book', this book should receive Zero stars - it is not a vegetarian book, it has FISH recipes????????
I agree with A CUSTOMER - this book should NOT CONTAIN FISH RECIPES!!!!! Vegetarians do not eat fish and it is wrong to advise people that it is an appropriate ingredient for one to eat. It is not acceptable to serve a vegetarian fish, nor is it correct for a fish eater to call themselves a vegetarian - true veggies seem to spend their lives explaining what the term, actually means.
from the vegetarian society web site:-
Definitions
A vegetarian is someone living on a diet of grains, pulses, nuts, seeds, vegetables and fruits with or without the use of dairy products and eggs.
A vegetarian does not eat any meat, poultry, game, fish, shellfish or crustacea, or slaughter by-products.