on 21 August 2016
This book is easily in my top 5 of the best books I've ever read. If you like to run, you will learn loads and want to run more, if you don't run, you will want to run after reading this book. Science mixed with folklore about long distance running sounds a difficult read but I struggled to put it down, a true classic, (if you have read it, sorry about the pun), just read it.
on 20 May 2013
A book about running, doesn't sound like its going to be that interesting does it? But believe me this is a really great book.

If you are into running, looking for inspiration to get back into shape or curios about the whole 'bare foot' running thing that this book seems to have kicked off I'd recommend it. Its a book about running yes, and the theme running through it seems to be modern running shoes have caused more harm than good (very debatable) but its also about people, what drives us, brings us together and why do we run?

In a nutshell its inspired me to run a marathon - worth while for that alone.
on 19 May 2018
I didn't know what to expect to expect from this book but gave it s go and he came fascinated as to what I could learn from it from diet to shoes to running barefoot to how to run. A great and insightful read.
on 19 July 2017
I read this book looking for information that would make me a better runner. I picked-up one useful tip (useful for me). I also shifted my mindset as to what motivates me to run. So, a useful book but depends on what the reader is looking for.
One person found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 31 July 2017
An inspirational book that is well suited to the experience runner however even for those who do not run this will inspire you to do so.
One person found this helpful
on 22 September 2013
Let me start by saying that this is not just a book for runners or people interested in running. I was neither and yet I read this book a month ago and am still getting to grips with the impact it has had on me. I don't use the term 'life-changing' lightly. As someone who had a complete and stubborn aversion to running (I refused to even run for a bus!!), this book has totally changed my attitude. I have now tentatively begun training and have set myself a goal of running 10km in the next 3 months. Barefoot!!

This is a beautiful, funny, touching, inspiring and exhilarating book to read. I heard Christopher McDougall being interviewed on the radio a couple of months ago and his warm, self-deprecating and engaging personality made me decide to buy his book even though I had no interest in running. He sounded like the kind of guy you'd love to have a pint with. And his writing is just the same - warm, witty, full of heart and thoroughly entertaining. I am now re-reading this book for the third time. It might be my Golden Gate Bridge - by the time I get to the end I may just have to keep starting again!

I found this tale to be deeply profound and philosophical. It made me see the world very differently and perhaps understand it (and its problems) a little better. I couldn't recommend this book highly enough. It's not about running, it's about so much more than that.
on 7 September 2010
I enjoyed this book. If I read it again I think I'd draw a "family tree". By halfway through I was just guessing who Christopher referred to.

I enjoyed the sentence which said that Russian sprinters had to be able to leap 20ft from a ladder barefoot before they could start sprint training. Interesting that peoples' feet became smaller once they got used to barefoot running - their arches toned up.. Most telling was the paragraph where the Nike athletes were found training barefoot. Born to Run: The Hidden Tribe, the Ultra-Runners, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen

I look forward to going for a run with not too springy shoes in the near future.
on 20 January 2010
Fascinating and inspirational, "Born to Run" is both a celebration of the human species (we are built for long distance running) and of humanity (camaraderie among the great runners and among the Tarahumara people). It is filled with exciting true stories of endurance races and biographical accounts of great ultrarunners, as well as interesting scientific studies on human anatomy and running. All these are very well presented, the book is so well-written and constructed that after a few chapters, it was very difficult to put down.

As a flat-footed, orthotic-wearer who gave up on running nearly 15 years ago, I am inspired to strengthen these feet and start running again. I'd be surprised if this book doesn't get majority of its readers on the roads and trails.
on 11 June 2012
This, hands down (or feet down), is the best book that I have read this year. Maybe last year too. It's heart-achingly inspiring, it's grippingly page-turning, it's a wild romp of a story about running, endurance, love and the human spirit. Tears rolled down my cheeks several times at not just the sheer endurance and physical accomplishment of the many wonderful characters in the book, but at the passion and spirit of them too. I cried at the end of the book, that there was no more story to read, no more of these wonderful, full-colour characters that the author portrayed with such intensity and empathy.

I haven't got a single bad word to say about this book. I want to read it all over again already.

This isn't just a book for people who love to run. It's a book for people who love people.

Inspirational.
on 18 March 2015
I absolutely loved this book and would recommend it to runners and non-runners alike who are looking to delve into the world of well being, health and nutrition. The story itself is fascinating but what really caught my interest were the quotes and inspirational attitudes towards life that I found within each character. I cannot wait to try barefoot running myself and enjoyed the reminder to approach life with joy each day and a pocket full of chia seeds!