on 23 February 2007
Wonderful for anybody that wants to know the answers to life's sometimes baffling questions (especially if you have children that want the answers to questions that sometimes you even have doubts about). This book is almost certainly for you (look really clever in front of the childern, no more ask the teacher the answer to that one). Boys will love the question on snot, and for you older one's (the answer to why hair goes grey might be of some help, no it is not too much perming or colouring, buy and book and read it to find out.

I originally bought the book for our daughter who is aged 15 but couldn't resist a look at it myself, had to read it though as it is just so gripping, once looking at one question and answer, then it snowballs. (At least if I get caught short on the conversation front, now I can think of different questions and see how people answer), or they will just look and think what the heck am I on.

A must book for summer holidays, long car journeys, you could ask one question and get everyone to give their answer to it, enjoyable fun and could put the end to are we there yet?

Bought my copy from Amazon on offer, so got a really good deal, but even at full price less than £8.00 still a good buy.
44 people found this helpful
on 9 March 2015
I think this book is amazing !!

I bought it as a stocking filler for my daughter who is big on science and has a need to know WHY....

She loved it ! in fact everyone enjoyed this book regardless of age and gender - this book seems to have something of interest for everyone !

We can all get by without the knowledge of such things as;

Why do we have fingerprints?
Why do our fingers get so wrinkled when we stay in the water so long?
Why do our throats get so dry when we are nervous?

BUT

It's not until you read the reasons WHY that you realise just how interesting it is to know the reasons...

This book contains a wealth of information for all ages.

I feel this book is a real bargain and would make a good gift for anyone !

I totally recommend this book.
on 28 December 2014
Taken from the pages of New Scientist.
Readers write in with questions.
Other "expert" readers write in with replies.

New Scientist has compiled a selection into this book and they make great reading.
The questions are fun and so are the answers.

It's the sort of book that you can read in bits, and then, after you have read it all, pick it up months later and re-enjoy it.

For example why don't penguins' feet freeze?
on 7 March 2016
Full of interesting scientific information and answers to questions that most of us had thought of at times. More a book to dip into from time to time than to read at one go, but when you start it's hard to stop.
on 31 January 2011
This book is a series of questions that have been answered by readers of the New Scientist magazine. Most of the questions were interesting but others I did not care about at all. The questions are grouped under themes that makes up the chapters of this book. I feel that some of the answers can be further filtered so you do not end up with questions with 3 or 4 different answers. This is one of those books that you pick up and read a question from time to time.
on 27 December 2010
I originally only purchased this book bcause my Kindle was new and the book was cheap, but it quickly became one of my favourite books at the moment.

The questions anwered are ones that you never realised you wanted the answers to, but that you feel stupid for not thinking about. How do you stop yourself crying when slicing onion? What time is it at the north pole? Why does twice boiled water make a rubbish cuppa?

There are answers to suit anyone, whether in advanced and highly scientific terms, or in simple everyday words for the more casual reader. The interspersed comedic answers make the high amounts of information more easily digestible and the logical layout helps to stop you getting bogged down in molecular physics or biochemistry.

In short this book is well worth a read for anyone looking for something fun, informative and different while also being scientific enough to satisfy even the most scientific of minds.
One person found this helpful
on 22 February 2018
very interesting
on 17 March 2017
My first E-Book.Down loaded well with no glitches Thanks
on 7 August 2017
liked very much by recipient
on 20 January 2016
Disappointing - I expected more from the New Scientist, this was just a load of contributors guesses to other people's questions. Poor editorial content and not particularly intelligent or entertaining.