The 22 Immutable Laws Of Branding
Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 7 December 2015
This is a no nonsense guide explaining how to build a brand for your business which attracts customers and increases sales and profits.

There is a big business branding issue that small companies shouldn't copy. I hate much of the advertising done by big businesses and the way that encourage small businesses to waste their money doing stuff which doesn't have a chance of working. How often have you watched TV adverts and wondered what it was all about and then struggled to remember the name, let alone any reason to buy that product instead of a competitor's.

Brand based advertising is too expensive for the majority of small businesses. However branding is one way a business can differentiate itself from competitors so I can't ignore the concept all together.

There are two aspects of branding:
1 - Brand awareness - how many people know the name.
2 - What the brand stands for.

Look at Ford. You know the name but what does it stand for other than "motor cars"? What image (if any) pops into your head when you hear the name? Its brand is spread too widely.

This book is all about the second issue, what your brand stands for. Name recognition isn't enough, except in extreme picking situations where you buy because you can't see any difference in the products but at least you know one name. The real aim of branding is to create a strong emotional connection with the customers so your brand means something to them.

This book, long considered a marketing classic, sends out a very clear message and is written in a way that's easy to read and simple to understand.

Its age may be a problem for you. This book was published well before we had Facebook, Twitter and the rest of the social media websites that have helped to increase the customer power of what a brand really means.

It won't tell you in detail how to create your own strong brand. You need another book for that. It will make it very clear what you're trying to do and what you must not do if your are going to create a brand which differentiates your business in a crowded marketplace.

About my book reviews - My goal is to help you to find the best business advice. I aim to be a tough reviewer because the main cost of a book is not the money to buy it but the time needed to read it and absorb the key messages. 4 stars means this is a good to very good book.

Paul Simister, a business coach who helps business owners who are stuck, get unstuck.
on 24 July 2015
I purchased this book in an attempt to educate myself in how to build my brand as a science fiction novelist. This book is clearly laid out and written in language that anyone can understand. The sections are short and the main points, easy to remember. I feel however, that this book is more suited to someone within a more traditional company with a 'thing' to market. As an author/novelist, all but one of the sections could not be made to apply to me or my brand (which is my novels.) I was a little bored by the constant 'look what this company did, look what that company did" that fills each and every paragraph and it seems to me that this book is more of a history of branding rather than a how to book. The one section that can be applied to my books and my brand was a very helpful point, so for that I'm grateful and it is for this one point that I feel I can only award two stars.
VINE VOICEon 2 December 2012
Okay, this book is not going to change your life: it sets out to do a simple task in a consistent and intelligent way and does so successfully, so 5 stars. Other books I have read recently have had the ability to help you change and re-focus your business; this book is a good product to keep beside them, to fill in the odd gap and to reitterate the point without having to delve into chapters of information. It is short and you could read it through in less than an hour and a half, but it is worth savouring and making a few notes along the way. This is the second book on branding I have purchased recently; the other longer and in more depth, but both books coincide to a remarkable extent which, to my mind, endorses this volume as a reliable textbook on the subject of branding. I value books such as these on what it teaches me and the extent to which it stimulates thought and generates ideas and/or knowledge. Branding is not something in which I am expert: I know a lot more about it as a result of reading this book and it has proved helpful. I am glad I bought it.
2 people found this helpful
on 16 December 2008
I bought this book quite a few years ago and lost my copy so bought it again a few weeks ago. It is a great book on the essentials of branding and the authors take a simple, yet really informative look at what makes up a brand in short chapters that you can read on their own. As a marketeer I recommend this book to my clients as you can learn a lot about branding in a very short space of time. It is suitable for everyone and even my husband who is an engineer and usually doesn't have time for marketing "fluff" as he calls it, said he found it quite engaging and now believes himself a branding expert:-)
on 22 May 2012
Written by professional marketing consultants, this outstanding book combines academic rigour with practical common-sense. It is unputdownable and, with many business case studies, explores the nature of Branding in a stimulating and thought-provoking manner.

I have always been influenced and fascinated by outstanding brands (eg Adidas, Thin Lizzy) and now I understand the basis of their power.

A great, absorbing read.
on 14 April 2018
Enjoyable read with some, and maybe a good place to start thinking about branding. However the book is so outdated that it makes you wonder how much of it still applies today.

I dare say some of what it contains is solid advice, but it desperately needs updating for the 21st century.
on 15 December 2012
Would fully recommend this book to anyone who wishes to acquire a good foundational understanding of branding, whether one needs more is very debatable. I would encourage those who have nothing to with sales promotion, it seems to me that if everyone considered themselves a brand, defined that and then lived it the world would be a better place?
on 15 December 2016
Good book and the principles stand several years later but some examples and laws I'd say are now quite out of date
on 12 January 2018
great informative read. makes me think on all the laws. just as reliant today as when first written, and with the added internet part it's totally up to date.
on 17 July 2017
Interesting but full of contradictions