Customer reviews

on 25 July 2017
I've said it before but this is probably the best, and definitely the most important book I've ever read. It's as important as reading the bible itself. A history of writing is so paramount to understanding, that I'm surprised there are so few books on such a crucial subject. Before reading any book read a history of writing. It seems to me that a history of writing concerning or related to western civilisation, is a little more important and interesting than the history of writing in say East Asia and Mesoamerica, hence only the two chapters concerning these regions are, a little less interesting. However, this book is a complete history of writing worldwide, and so even these chapters are essential.
on 14 June 2016
I five stared this book because it has as much about writing most people will ever need in their lives. It is very detailed. It is quite technical. There are a lot of linguistic terms. It is not an easy read. I must admit I got very bored with it, quite quickly. I am not a specialist on writing so I can't judge how in date it is for them but for non specialists, there is sure a lot of stuff. I will go back and read a bit more later. If you are a layman with an interest in writing, this is the book for you.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 April 2013
Delivered to my Kindle with no technical problems or need to do any more than order it on line form Amazon.
on 19 March 2012
a really good intro in the history of writing ... this book is well worth reading and full of information relating to the history of writing. The book is odd size but come as a set of three that really need reading in order.