Customer reviews

I borrowed this book from my local library but then decided to buy it as I was sure I would want to refer to it again and again. I have been blogging for a few weeks mostly as Doc Barbara (my Amazon penname) but felt I needed extra help and this book certainly gives it. There are chapters on: basics; starting your blog, mainly on Google Blogger or WordPress; basic online skills and concepts; content; community; style and structure; the law; moving on to eBooks; social media and making a profit. There is advice on grammar, abbreviations, images and much more It is clearly and pleasantly written and encourages the blogger in his/her efforts whilst stressing the need to think what those efforts are intended to produce. As of now (May 2012) it is up-to-date and I thoroughly recommend it particularly for its sensible discussion of the tricky topic of SEO and the stress on enjoyment for the writer and reader of blogs.
on 20 January 2014
I like this book because compared to others that i have perused it is simple to use and to the point. Dont quite understand why there is a chapter about English usage though, (i think it is a bit of a filler). You can just read the basics & go. Others, in comparison are long winded and not as user friendly to beginners like me.
on 15 September 2013
I'm not sure how they justify the price for this book which has the feel of one that's been written to a spec set out by the publishers. In short, it's too brief.
I started blogging a week or two before buying this book and so in theory was the target market. I finished it in an hour or so and got virtually none of the answers to questions I had.
As another reviewer suggested, it could have done with some illustrations. What you get for the 'practical' sections is largely bullet points of tutorials you can easily find on the net anyway (to be fair the authors do state not to be giving a practical guide to setting up a blog). And it's crying out for some pictures of the layouts they describe.
The legal section was a disappointment. I'm fairly sure I can't use clipart from MSWord on my blog but it doesn't say that: it doesn't say anything about clipart that I noticed. The only thing it says about images really is in chapter 4: content for your blog. Here it tells you how to find images with a 'creative commons' licence on flickr (I didn't know about this, I confess) or purchase one from iStockshop. It doesn't explain why you have to do this or that 'copyright law' means you can't just download any old picture off the net and re-use it. I know you can't, but not everyone will put two and two together.

In short a lot of the content of this book a reasonably intelligent person can find for themselves with a bit of simple (free) research and reading other people's blogs, plus there are some glaring gaps. I have learned one or two things for sure, and I will probably refer to it again. But, this does not justify the asking price in my opinion.
on 19 April 2012
Really valuable resource for anyone wanting to build a successful blog, written by two successful businesswomen. Lots of useful advice.
on 26 September 2012
Good overall general advice on how to start blogging, but disappointed from all the rave reviews that appear for this book that there is only general advice and no pictures of stages or progress. Section on spelling and grammar is particularly gratuitous.
on 30 April 2012
Brilliant advice about blogging form Erica and Antonia. I have had products from these two in the past that have been so clear and strightforward they are an absolute delight and this book does not disappoint. I have been writing a blog for a few years and I so wish I had read this book before i began. it has everything for a new blogger and some good tips for a more experienced blogger too. It is so easy to follow unlike most IT books and I am very impressed. Highly recommended.
on 16 April 2012
This is a very clear and concise book about all aspects of blogging. I have a blog myself but learnt a lot of new stuff.
on 11 September 2013
Cover 2.0 Not over relevant to subject. I flicked through this book to see what there was of interest being a newcomer to the blogging activity. Some useful points. I may comment again after reading the book a second time. I do not like the abnormal size of the book and as someone else has mentioned the grammar and punctuation section is a bit naff. I will also look out for other books on the subject to make a more informed comment.
on 4 April 2013
This is an excellent book. Concise information, easy to follow. Plenty of tips, quick steps etc. A brilliantly written introduction to the Blogsphere to begin writing confidently.
on 13 June 2012
As the title states it is an essential bit of kit for all personnel starting out in the world of blogging, Simple easy to follow guide for all amateur bloggers a strongly recommended buy.