Format: Hardcover|Change

on 11 July 2008
Every house I have ever lived in, rented or bought has had damp of some sort. Buyers want reductions from the seller because of it, tradesman can tell you anything- and do anything to 'cure' it. It is a shameful odour and a blight on our paintwork.
This book shows you what kind of damp you have, what causes it and what remedies to take to diminish it. It might stop you purchasing a house that is going to always have problems- or stop you paying a fortune to a trader, when you could take other actions.
It is easy to understand and covers every type of damp, with drawings & photos to help.
There should be a copy in every estate agents office, to help the client. I am no longer afraid of dampness.
on 24 February 2016
I wish I had done more research before buying this book. it is totally misleading and a complete waste of money.
Unfortunately the information given in this book to help conquer damp in old houses will in fact lead to serious problems.
The information is completely wrong, outdated, and the techniques used are disasterous and the cause of so many issues faced by owners of old houses that have been incorrectly treated since the advent of chemicals, plastic paint and cement.
Read the negative reviews, they are correct. Do a bit of research, and you will discover that the advice given in this book could be catastrophic to your house.
Instead look at the Haynes Manual to Period Property by Ian Rock, or talk to the National Trust. If you have lime plaster then Lime in Building: A Practical Guide by Jane Schofield is excellent.
But whatever you do, don't follow the advice within these pages.
on 14 November 2015
A useful book if you have any damp issues - read this before making the usually fateful error of getting in a 'damp specialist' who will almost certainly claim you have rising damp and luckily they can inject your walls and replaster for a modest (not) fee,

The book is rather dry (sorry!) and not that an exciting read, but it is damp we're talking about so if you have damp problems it's worth the trouble to read this and perhaps not get had by companies that only want to inject your walls with special pastes and replaster your walls.

I suspect many people have damp walls due to condensation forming due to poor ventilation, drying clothes indoors, bedroom and kitchen not having sufficient fan extraction.

In my case I'll be installing a Nuaire Drimaster device that pushes fresh air into the house to reduce my slight damp wall problem.
on 16 January 2016
For Victorian or older houses, this will only make the damp problem worse and destroy your brickwork.

With damp, the question should always be "where is coming from" and "where is it going". Barriers aren't always the answer. Spraying your brickwork with sillicon makes stop the natural breathability of walls and traps the moisture from inside your house in your walls and might cause your bricks to break when that water freezes. Terrible advice.
on 3 January 2012
Excellent, interesting, well-written book which not only answered all the questions I had but managed to answer even more that I hadn't realised I should have been asking. Any technical issues are easily explained in lay terms and are therefore made understandable without any waffle but with sufficient information. If you have either any current problems with damp or simply wish to avoid creating damp in your home I would thoroughly recommend this title. If you are interested in sustainable, healthy living conditions then this book is a great primer. The only one small complaint I have is that there is no Kindle edition...
on 26 February 2012
This is the first time I have been so moved to write a product review. This book has changed my life. After living in a damp old house we have been trying to renovate for 10 years by page 12 I had regained all my personal confidence and learnt to diagnose and recognise all the problems in our house. All the confusion and ignorance of the last 10 years was wiped out. I now have all the tools I need to completely sort our house. I love all the hand drawn diagrams, which make the subject of damp so easy to understand. I recommend the book as the most important publication any average person (ie non professional builder) renovating an old house (without damp course) to buy. The best £12 ish I have ever spent.
on 9 September 2010
This is a straight forward and well written text that will particularly appeal to the lay-man. If you have suspected damp in your property, it would be well worth reading this book before you go diving in and spending money on damp treatments that you may regret. This book will give you the basic information to be able to make informed decisions as to which course of action to take. One particular strength of this book is the way in which the author has supplemented the theory with drawings that enhance the explanations in a simple logical manner. Recommended reading.
on 2 November 2012
A good book covers all aspects of damp. Clear diagrams. Explains the causes of damp, different methods of treating it and the appropriate methods for your property type . A comprehensive book ideal to buy before seeking expert damp advise. I should have bought this book when I bought the damp cottage rather than just before starting building work.
on 20 February 2014
I thought a quick read, and I'd know enough to fix problems. Explained mostly in simple terms, it becomes apparent that it is not a simple issue. I can't imagine another book that gets to grips with the subject so succintly. Value for money
on 17 October 2015
I found this book difficult to read and a little misleading in parts and did not come to conclusions readily. It's technical content was good but as a Surveyor of some years I found it a little confusing.