Customer reviews

on 21 January 2008
The last reviewer gave this book a fairly drab showing, but it does not in any way deserve this. I am a master craftsman stone mason and I have also been dry stone walling for over 32 years in Scotland and Wales. OK, the cover photo is a bit dreary, but you should not judge a book by its cover. I have read this book from front to back and have found it an ideal guide for my budding dry stone wallers. It is a beginners guide, when all said and done. The techniques are very sound in my opinion and would advise anyone who is thinking about starting this type of work to buy it.
on 21 January 2008
Very good book with basic techniques. The drawings could have been a bit better, but the content is sound. I have been working in conservation for 18 years and see this book as an excellent starter guide.
on 13 October 2015
I was disappointed to receive such an old book, which has been discarded by a library! In my opinion the asking price was far too much.
on 3 January 2017
Clear concise and practical - good instruction manual - well illustrated.
on 19 January 2012
I am surprised that some who pronouynce themselves experienced enough to pass judgemant on this book give positive reviews.This book is badly written, misleading and will put beginners on the wrong path to shoddy work.As a waller of 30 years, and a highly qualified Lecturer in Walling, I can only say, ...this is the worst book on walling published. Go for the BTCV manual, Lawrence Gardner, but DO NOT buy this naieve, mis-informed rubbish, and its not just the cover, see AR's new DVD for a deeper insight into cluelessness. Don.
on 17 April 2015
Yes thank you the book told me what I needed to know and a lot more
on 21 June 2009
This book covers some of the ground of dry stone walling. However, all the photos seem to be ones of walls built by students rather than positive examples to aspire to.
For a practical guide to walling,the BCTV guide would be a more preferrable choice, or for a more lyrical approach either "In the Company of Stone" by Dan Snow or "The Granite Kiss" by Kevin Gardner
on 10 March 2007
Another good book by this author. Very absorbing a thorough walling guide. Usually I find it hard to follow instructions but this in written in such a way that makes it fairly easy to follow.
on 22 December 2013
After a very difficult first order,failed delivery and out of the question delivery 'FORECAST' of February in spite of the fact I originally ordered it in October as a Christmas present. I spent untold hours researching availability from many other sources until one informed me that it was out of print and not scheduled for a re-run in the foreseeable future I tried Amazon again using the 'used item' route and reordered a good condition copy from another supplier which arrived on time at an acceptable price.
This copy was ex library therefore may have been through quite a lot of readers but I consider using this route again.
on 6 January 2011
Being a dyker i always like reading about dyking , its a good book , gives alot of details , but alot of the walls showen in the book are awful