on 1 October 2012
I took alexander classes a few years ago after a car accident that broke my neck and almost killed me. after surgery I managed to walk away but obviously took with me serious neck issues. I wont go any further into details other than to say that almost instantly (!) during my first classes my neck felt much much better, as if someone had oiled it and loosened it up, and I was an instant and very surprised convert to a subtle and frustrating and amazing process that went much further than just recovering from an accident.

I borrowed many books from my teachers, across a spectrum of styles and approaches to the subject, (dont bother with the books by Alexander himself, they are a mess, as gifted as he was the guy couldn't write) and this one is the one I liked the best. I have to admint that starting the book I didn't like it so much for a reason I cant really pin down, but by the end I had changed my mind and thought it was an excellent overall explanation and very incisive and clear. Made me much more aware of the "mind, character and attitude" side of the technique, rather than just the physical aspects.

When I recently wanted to brush up on my alexander technique, I bought this book to refresh my memory. Reading it again, I can only say I still like it just as much.
on 25 March 2014
This author is not a conventional practitioner, his section on the performing arts is really useful and insightful. I loved the bit about kissing, that was funny and also pertinent. A friend has suggested that his work is unconventional, fun and very applicable. If you are studying Alex Technique or just interested then this book will give you a provocative and interesting angle to feed and help you pursue your interest further. Great read and excellent illustrations.
55 Comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 October 2013
First book on A.T. I read so cannot make a comparison on the content. It is though very well written, easy to understand and very interesting. Probably will need a second time through. Some of the content is by other authors with more experience on a particular subject (like pregnancy). Recommened.
on 22 November 2015
This book might be well written but it does have very few illustrations on posture as advocated by the Alexander Technique. Teaching it well is rare to find and also good explanatory books, which is a shame.
on 4 March 2016
I have had The Alexander Technique classes and decided to buy the book also, I enjoyed reading it and you can go back to it anytime for a reference.
on 12 June 2015
I did 'nt like this at all, the exercises were not at all clear to me.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 December 2015
Good explanations and in depth enough whilst easy to relate to.
on 31 July 2014