Customer reviews

Socktopus
Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 January 2013
I held off writing this review until I had tried a few of the patterns. I used the book to learn how to knit socks and have now made four of the patterns.

Thanks to the `vanilla' sock, I now understand sock construction and have a basic pattern that I know will fit every time. I have also tried something a little less successful in the V-Junkie, which has a pattern based on the shape of a red blood cell, apparently. The instructions are very clear.

Following Alice Yu's instructions for a seamless cast on for a toe-up sock was very straightforward.

Other reviewers have pointed out that Alice Yu recommends her own, rather pricy, wool, but it's easy enough to substitute. My only problem was that, as someone new to sock knitting, I had no idea how much I would need, so got the first couple wrong.

The one thing I don't like about the book is that the first pattern is all about shaping it to your own feet for the perfect fit, but that is then forgotten and there is no guidance about how to make the other patterns work for you. This became very apparent with the second pair that I made, which ended up slightly too big.

One disadvantage to those of us new to sock making is that some of the patterns require finishing with kitchener stitch, but there was no explanation of how to do it. Fortunately there are plenty of explanations on the web.

There are some errors in the patterns and these are corrected on the Socktopus website.
on 20 February 2013
As an expert knitter an a sockknittin-aholic i now has a book that challenge me enough + beautifull socks for my feet.
The book could have gotten 5 stars from me, was it not for these issues:

I can strongly recomend this book, but it has too many glicthes, so I strongly recommend, that you check for errata on soctopus.com, before starting any model in the book

The photos are beautifull and artistic, but most are to small or taken to far away, to support you in how to knit,
Therefore you might find it helpfull to picture-google for photos of each model
on 8 June 2012
A beautiful book full of the most wonderful patterns but there are endless mistakes in the patterns - not all of which have yet been addressed in the errata. If you are experienced and willing to do a fair amount of brain work then go for this book and you will get the beautiful and unique socks. But if you are new to sock knitting I would steer well clear -it is obvious that the patterns haven't been test knit in every size and the book wasn't well proof read. Perhaps a treasured pattern book for the most experienced knitter
11 Comment| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 November 2011
A fabulous book. Not only does it include 17 gorgeous sock patterns, but it has detailed descriptions of special techniques, as well as clear photos demonstrating them. The patterns are both pretty and innovative, and include toe-up and toe-down styles. For the brave, one even includes steeking!

I intend to knit every pattern, and I can't say that about many knitting books. A must-have addition to any knitter's bookshelf (although it's unlikely to stay on the shelf for long as it will be constantly in use!)
on 11 January 2012
The main reason I love this book is that I believe that if you go to all the trouble of knitting socks they should be special and beautiful. The patterns are all stunning, with one "vanilla" sock thrown in for good measure. The book is very well laid out. All the charts are clear and large, generously spread across the pages. This is one of the cleverest sock books I have seen because the patterns give you the opportunity to learn different techniques, like an Estonian braid and even steeking. Again, there are close-up shots of the techniques shown over whole pages in a neutral colour yarn for extra clarity. The photographs are very well styled and lovely. There are also clear close-ups of the stitch patterns.

Another thing I like is that most of the guages are the same. So if you have a favourite sock yarn you use often, you can swatch just once to establish guage then start the patterns straight away. The recommended yarn is also available online, hand dyed by the author.

Granted, this is not a book for complete beginners. It does not go into great detail on the basics of sock knitting. It is probably aimed at the kind of audience that sign up for the author's sock club; seasoned sock knitters. On that level it does not disappoint. Alice Yu is an amazingly talented sock designer!
on 4 April 2012
This is easily the best book of sock patterns I've bought, there isn't a single pair in here that I won't knit. I bought the book in February and a couple of months later I'm on my third pair. Texture rules here with designs that will suit variegated and solid/semi-solid sock yarns. Lots of interesting construction techniques, includes both top down and toe up socks, some different sorts of heels and there is a number of sizes for each pair.
on 20 November 2011
I've bought most of the sock books available and have to say this is the best one yet. I love how clear the patterns are and the photography is really great. I think Alice is an amazing designer who has the ability to create elegant designs that are challenging yet fun to knit. I've learned a lot of new techniques from knitting her various patterns and also love her new yarns! If you only buy one sock knitting book, this would be a very good choice!
on 17 June 2016
I am not a novice knitter and I loved the look of this book but the first pattern I attempted didn't work so i went on to Revelry for help but there wasn't any and no amendments but the pattern didn't work when I asked for help I was told by various people who had done this pattern that they basically fudged it to make it work! This person has been paid for her patterns and if you can't do them or you are supposed to fudge it to make it work then whats the point because ultimately you are knitting it yourself!!

So really disappointed. I own quite a lot of sock patterns and I've been knitting them for some years now but I don't do my own patterns that's why I buy a pattern book....
on 3 January 2012
This book is just what I hoped for after reading the reviews, I will say though that it is not for beginners. I am just about to start the cover socks, which I love ,in fact I love them all. I know I will enjoy my journey knitting through this book again and again One not to miss.
on 1 February 2013
I gave this book to my daughter for Christmas, it was on her wish list. We are now, both of us, knitting socks from the book; cannot wait to finish them so that we can go on to another pair. If you are a handknitted "sockaholic" then I suggest you have a look at it. It does give instructions (with pictures) in the glossary for those who would like to knit socks but have not yet learned how.