Customer reviews

on 28 May 2003
As someone who is a keen photographer who is looking at getting into wildlife photography, I have been looking and browsing Amazon for a few weeks trying to find a decent book.
I then came across this book by Andy Rouse a name that springs up in a few photography magazines and a Television program which has just recently been shown on Ch 5.
Seeing some of his work before I purchased the book just for the photos, but when it arrived I found it had so much more, it includes advice, tips, the ups, downs and frustrations of his year, and humour to go with it, like the description of his trip to India to photograph Tigers it was so well done you could picture it so vividly.
So many photography books bore you with just the technical aspects however this one won't.
It's a great book and the photos are stunning, buy one and see for yourself. I was so impressed I just booked myself on one of his courses.
on 15 October 2002
For those familiar with the name of Andy Rouse, this book will come as no suprise. Andy is simply one of the very best wildlife photographers the world has seen, this book details the highs and lows of a year in his life. Of course it is filled with outstanding pictures that no-one else seems able to take (or are not willing to go to the dangerous lengths to take!), but what really makes this photographic book is the words.
If you have seen Andy's tv programme you will be familiar with his very open enthusiasm and drive, this is clearly a man who is living his dream. To a budding photographer like myself there are plenty of tips to be noted and lessons to be learnt, but dont think this is only of interest to photographers. The book is nicely split between the images, the anecdotal stories and the technical know how. If you are a wildlife fan then you can simply ignore the technical boxes and still have a book that is worth every penny.
If you buy this book the only reason for dissapointment will be the fact it will soon become dog eared with your constant reading of it!!
A fine job Mr Rouse!!!
on 19 October 2004
Again, Andy delivers the goods; and superbly too. This guy really knows his subject and his photographs are outstanding. The amount of preparation required to achieve the results that Andy gets is clearly brought out in this book. Days spent just watching, waiting and preparing for perhaps just a few shots certainly pay off. The temptation to shoot away at the first opportunity is resisted until everything is just right.
The book takes you through a year in the life of a wildlife photographer; each month in a different country photographing a different animal. My favourite is the Dolphins in the Caribbean; being a keen diver and underwater photographer this chapter really inspires me.
Just makes me want to give up the 9 to 5 rat race and pick up my camera. A superb book and one that you will want to read over and over again. Buy it!
on 21 December 2011
I already had several of Andy Rouse's other books, but for a long time I didn't bother getting this one because it is a bit older (2002). I should have got it long ago!

The book is structured a bit like a diary, describing where Andy went each month (both in the UK and abroad) and what photographic successes and failures he had. It is interesting just to get an idea of the lifestyle and work processes of a professional wildlife photographer (for all of us who dream of doing that job!!). Also it is inspiring in planning one's own photography projects throughout the year. OK, I'm not going to be going to the Arctic and Africa in the coming year, but the principle of planning what wildlife to photograph at different times of the year, to maximise the 'return' on my time (i.e. enjoyment and a feeling of achievement) is a good one! Thoroughly recommended.

The quality of the photos is excellent - I'm puzzled by the comment in another review about them not being 'A' class material.
on 20 January 2015
Very good read nice one good service
on 4 February 2006
Looking over the other sparkling reviews I feel there are going to be many who disagree with me but I hope I can justify my luke warm respons to this book.
I did not know much about Andy Rouse but I had seen his name in various photographic magazines and a photo of his 'surfing gentoo' I think it was titled in the latest portfolio of the wildlife photographer of the year competition.
The book does give a great deal of useful information and advice about wildlife photography but many of the photos I didnt think were quite perfect. Maybe the light a little off or just not framed ideally, it made me think that Mr Rouse was forced to put in more than just his A material to fill the book. Another grip is about his eccentric views with fill-in flash. Some of the chimpanzee pictures which would have been perfect seem spoiled to me by the unnatural lighting of using flash in broad day-light - in Africa!
The style of writing I find a little too informal, some readers may appreciate the friendlier and informal approach but I found it a little offputting. Trying to be a professional photographer myself, I want to read the works of professionals being professional.
If you are looking for a guide to fieldcraft and techniques you could probably do a lot worse and even if you disagree with Rouse's approach you could certainly learn a lot from it. If you are mostly looking for wildlife pictures to inspire you, you might do better with one of the above mention wildlife photographer of the year portfolios.