TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 17 October 2012
I have been a DIY addict for about fifteen year now and have gradually acquired most tools and gadgets I need, the two things that have eluded me until this summer have been a router and a planer, and thanks to a couple of great deals on Amazon I now have them both:

Black And Decker KW900EKA Router Var Speed 1200 Watt

Draper Expert 41462 82 mm 230-Volt 720-Watt Planer

To the novice such as myself (with respect to these tools) they can appear pretty daunting out of the box, and as usual the supplied 'instruction leaflets' included very little in the way of genuine instruction!

I also purchased a Silverline Bit Set:

Silverline 792084 12 Piece 1/4 Inch TCT Router Bit Set

This too looked more complicated than I first expected!

I admit that I tend to fall in with the stereotype and more often than not work out how to use things by a process of elimination, however I thought that if I was to do that with these particular tools the only elimination going on would be with my limbs!

After doing some research this book from Ron Fox appeared to be just about the best one for my purpose, and now that I have received it I must say that it is absolutely fantastic and is perfect for my needs.

Its a paperback, measuring 297mm by 210mm, and it has 120 pages.

The book consists of quite a considerable amount of chapters:

1. Introduction
22. Fine cuts
23. Metric/Imperial conversion chart
24. About the author
25. Index

Each of the main chapters was originally written by the author for the beginner's guide series in 'The Router' magazine.

The thing that struck me immediately upon opening this book was the amount of photographs, it has literally hundreds of photographs and diagrams, all in colour.

The photographs in particular are simply fantastic, really big and clear they make the job of understanding this tool all the easier.

The book has advice for all levels, and although it takes the reader from the very basics it also provides tips and suggestions for the more experienced user.

It is written in a wonderfully accessible manner and I have to say that it is one of the best workshop guides I have seen to date.

Overall I am over the moon with this book, I expected it to be good because of the positive reviews, but it has exceeded my expectations and I am so glad I bought it!
on 22 January 2009
The Router can be quite an intimidating piece of machinery and even though one could be in possession of this machine and use it frequently, you still may not be using it to your fullest advantage. There are so many facets to routing and with this book to guide you the router will become an even more versatile machine.

Ron Fox is passionate about the router and it shines through this manual from cutter care to working with guidebushes its all covered here. The beginner will find this book invaluable and for the seasoned practitioner I have no doubt it will become a well thumbed reference book. I myself use it regularly and find the photographs contained to be of excellent quality.
on 26 June 2014
This is a really well written, beautifully presented book that guides a complete beginner through all the principles of routing and will still be of value to advanced users. Ron assumes no prior knowledge, explaining everything from scratch in a clear and engaging way. The illustrations are great, there are plenty of relevant photographs and – unlike 'Working with Routers' (Fine Woodworking) – there is a clear logic and progression to the way topics are covered.

Whether you want to understand the basics or learn how to build a router table, everything is comprehensively covered by someone who clearly has a passion for his craft.

It's also worth checking out Ron Fox's many videos on YouTube and Get Woodworking – it will give a good flavour of his approach, which is echoed in this fantastic book.
on 30 March 2010
I bought this before even plugging my router in. It's ideal for someone at that stage of router-expertise i.e. complete beginner. The pictures are great, the writing's clear and it doesn't assume that you know anything or have any woodworking competence. It suited me ideally!

I'd absolutely recommend this book, if you want to use your router to make what you want, without making mistakes or a mess of the workpiece!
on 15 January 2014
Bought this book after having already purchased a Clarke (Machine Mart) CR1 router and a Trend CRT Mk3 Router table (Machine Mart). As a complete beginner at routing but having worked for 35 years teaching woodwork I did have some sound background woodwork experience. This book is extremely well written and illustrated with large clear photographs. It gave me the confidence and the information to set up and start using the router and table.
The author is British and refers to British makes of router and sterling prices which is more relevant than US makes. The book is a collection of magazine articles compiled into book format but this not a criticism. As the title suggests it follows a structured and progressive layout on what the router can/cannot do, care of the bits and using a router table. There is some repetition of subject matter and even of photographs but this is done deliberately and is acknowledged in the text as `reinforcement`, no bad thing.
Personally I would have liked more info on the router table as I have done most of my routering on the table, and possibly some plans of router projects,but perhaps that is asking for too much. The writing style is easy to read and thankfully free of jargon and gimmicks.
Very good value for money I would recommend this book to any beginner starting out in routing.
on 23 October 2014
book arrived in good time well packaged ,to say the book was not new it was in perfect condition, i have found the book very informative for someone new to routing. as the front cover says its a complete course, a very good book to start with would recommend
on 22 June 2013
Having read the first few chapters, I have already learnt a few things. The book is full of very useful information, particularly for the beginner but also for people, like myself, who have used a router before and would like to explore more of its possibilities. I found the section on jigs particularly interesting and will be constructing some of my own in the near future.

As mentioned in other reviews, the illustrations and photographs are large, clear and of a high quality and illustrate the point that the author is trying to convey.

In my opinion, a very useful book which should appeal to almost all but the most advanced woodworker. Some of the more general pointers should be included with all routers by the manufacturer of the machine.
on 15 August 2012
If you are looking for a beginners basic book, this will do the job. It is obviously a little dated (costs etc have since risen) and the routers included are now older models. The book gives some good tips but is not explicit enough for the unwary beginner. Not the best current value for money book.
on 27 September 2009
A really excellent book, well illustrated and describing in clear, simple terms which even a beginner will understand, the various methods of using a router and its accessories. Would wholeheartedly recommend to any newcomer to routing. ISBN 1861081944
Frank Johnson.
on 12 September 2014
Lots of info but not what I needed. I wanted something for beginners but this book presumed you know what some items are without explanation where and how to use them.