on 8 March 2002
I have used her books for some 25 years now and I've never had a failure yet. All baking recipes are successful.it's great to know that Evelyn Rose can be relied upon every time.
on 8 July 2011
This is a great book and I have worn out 2 previous copies- all recipes are fabulous and use 'normal' ingredients, The only 'but' is it is in a white embossed cover!!! What were the printers thinking? So if you are getting this book (which you should) then also get some sticky back plastic to cover it before you use.
on 29 January 2002
I use this book all the time. I love it because it's got some great recipes which actually work and her style is friendly and unpretentious.
on 3 January 2001
An essential book for everybody who wants to sink his teeth into traditional as well as contemporary Jewish cooking ... oh, and into good food. It gives an easy step-by-step guide on the "how", as well as information on the "why" ... foolproof receipes for delicious food from all corners of the world. Not only a receipe book as such, this book gives you some insight into Jewish traditions, and if you have to entertain a larger party, you'll find everything in here too. Clearly a must for every kitchen, be it Jewish or not!
on 14 November 2012
Can't give enough praise for this cookbook and its methodology and freezing/storing advice. Have found every recipe foolproof and it isn't necessary to be Jewish to use and enjoy. The festivals section is informative for everyone. I have the original, a bit battered with use, but so loved, and this was a gift for my step daughter who enjoys my food!
on 29 July 2011
I was very disappointed when the last edition went out of print.Apart from the fact it was a paperback I loved as it was just the most comprehensive and foolproof cookery book I have ever used. I was reduced to hunting around NW London charity shops for a copy for my daughter (I did find one in pristine condition for £[]) I ordered several copies of this new edition for me ,my daughter,daughter in law and as gifts but have to stay I don't think this new version is an improvement .
Firstly ,as a previous reviewer has noted ,covering the book with White fabric is just ridiculous
Secondly, the print is very small and the ink used for the print is a very hard to see grey. What is wrong with black?
Thirdly, I frankly could do with out the French and the somewhat pretentious (and dare I say old fashioned) rules of etiquete for a dinner party. this is a kosher cook book for goodness sake!
like many kosher cooks most of my serious cooking is done just prior to shabbat and the festivals . whilst I can and do adapt recipes from many other sources, from a kosher cook book I want recipes that can be prepared in advance and won't spoil if reheated or kept warm for a bit . recipes which require loads of last minute fiddling around with are not much use to me.
Having said that this book is still worth buying just don't throw your old copy away .
on 11 October 2012
I bought this book for my mum, after buying my own copy and loving it. It has so many different recipes and is by far my most treasured cook book!
Arrived in excellent condition, I shall look out for this seller again!
on 26 April 2016
In my opinion there are two cookbooks that are essential to every Jewish woman- this one and Claudia Roden's Book of Jewish Food- they cover absolutely everything you'll ever need to know. This book was bought for me as an engagement present (in 1995) and I still use it time and time again.
on 8 August 2011
To me Evelyn Rose could do no wrong. I have her earlier book and the pages are stained and I swear still has matzoh crumbs in the creases. If the house caught on fire this is the one cookbook that I would save. Can't wait for this new version to come to my door. Her challah recipe fits perfectly in my breadmaking machine so I don't have to do all the kneading and the challah and the bagels come out perfectly. Plus her Passover dishes are wonderful. We have definitely lost a wonderful mother figure for us to learn to cook/bake from.

Okay, it arrived and I devoured it and was disappointed. One of my favorite dishes, tuna noodle casserole didn't make the new book. The measurements for things, like the challah, have been changed and now won't fit into my bread making machine. It's not as homily. I loved the way she would say put in 3 carrots but now everything is weighed out.

HOWEVER! The chicken with mango sauce was a huge hit to my mango hating son and the honey cake with brandy was so moist and tasty. So there are both new and exciting recipes and a change of recipes and measurements.

Now if there was a fire I would have to grab both cookbooks.

Well done Judi!!
on 10 February 2013
I have bought this book for presents for people and it has always gone down well, I have an old copy that I consult on an almost daily basis as Evelyn Rose is one of my culinary heroes, producing consistently clear, easy and reliable recipes. The advice on freezing that comes with each recipe is so useful for busy family cooks and the portions are always generous. I would strongly recommend this book to anyone who runs a kosher kitchen.