Customer reviews

on 10 November 2005
I must mention that I did not buy this book from Amazon and this is not a complaint to Amazon at all. I gave this 2 stars as it does have some valuable knowledge inside it I'm sure. However, I dived straight to the back of the book, as although I'm relatively new to C#, I have had a fair amount of XML experience, and wanted to get on with the case study in Chapter 14. So far all this has done is improve my debugging skills, as there are horrendous errors in there, including an absolute no-no of hard coded database connection strings in the code-behind files, despite there being an available class (newsDB) with a method which pulls the strings from the AppSettings in the web.config!!!! It just simply isn't good practice.
Also, if you go over to Amazon.com, people on the other side of the pond seem to dislike this book.
If you want to get on with the case study by the way, and this particular error is causing you grief, create a new instance of the newsDB class before you need a conn string, and then instantiate the method getConnectionStringThis should get you past that point....more to come I fear!!
As for the fact that the source code seems to have been removed from the URL's mentioned in the book, after a bit of searching, I found them at [...] ...hope this helps somebody!
One person found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse