on 17 October 2009
I am an adult beginner 16 months in. I practise 30 mins - 1 hour daily. This is 13 pages of progressively difficult graded scales and arpeggios that help my technique. I use them as warm-ups and they improve my playing.
Many also sound fine too.
on 2 August 2012
I got this book, after my teacher told to get it. It's very good and informative. I love how it's split into different grades-I'm a grade 3 so it was easy to find my level. It shows you what happens in an exam, which is so helpful! At the back, it shows you what you need to pass an exam. When I got it, it was a bit thinner than I thought, But still a very good book for beginners or advanced-I highly recommend it!
on 13 June 2012
If you're going for the ABRSM grade 1 to 5 classical guitar exams, you need this book to know what's expected of you in the scales & arpeggios part. It's that simple. Don't be put off by the reviews by people who don't seem to comprehend this basic fact.
on 8 September 2012
A must have for any aspiring classical guitar student who is studying for their grades and complements the pieces chosen as a technical backup .
on 9 February 2010
To be fair, this book is probably not intended as a tutorial for a self-taught guitarist, but take heed: there is no tablature, only stave.

While that's probably fine for someone learning with a teacher, it means that the learner cannot know where on the fretboard to play these patterns, (guitar being an instrument where the same note may be played in several different places). Learning how to read standard notation is important, but standard notation was not designed with guitar players in mind, and you will therefore need someone in the know to talk you through this book.

Furthermore, the scales and arpeggios included only cover two octaves at most - all that is needed for Grade exams. Therefore, anyone hoping for a fretboard workout is not going to find it here.

Any decent guitar tutor book will have far more than this book contains, and more usefully presented.

I bought this book to assist in teaching my daughter, but it didn't have the information she needed. If you are not using this with a teacher, and you don't already know where on the fretboard to find the patterns, then you'd be well advised to look elsewhere.
1414 comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 May 2013
Very pleased with range of styles and periods for the music...hours of fun!! Scales unfortunately necessary but not so much 'fun'!
on 19 December 2013
It is helping me with my exams, came in a pristine condition and it was really good to use. Cool
on 20 June 2016
All as expected. Recommended by our children's guitar teacher, so no better recommendation!
on 10 November 2014
Had to buy twice as left our original copy at music teachers house! Good value at Amazon
on 1 November 2015
very good quality music book. good fast delivery. thank you.