The Vagina Monologues
Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 January 2018
I found this book frustrating. Frustrating as every tale is written from a position of female helplessness. Whilst some of the stories are about children, we should not conflate a child's helplessness with that of women. Reading a piece about being angry that tampons were not ideal, I found myself wanting to yell 'well do something about it then'. Remember ladies, the patriarchy won't smash itself, so do something with your power.
on 21 May 2017
Beautiful book! I would recommend to all my friends!! You must read this book!!
on 27 April 2017
Good reading!
on 23 September 2016
Eve Ensler interviewed hundreds of women about their vaginas. Some of the monologues were told verbatim and others were a composite. All of them were told with love and respect for the women who shared maybe for the first time. This book and accompanying play is an emotional rollercoaster Some times sad, sometimes hilarious but always beautiful. It tells us that women still have a long way to go in order to feel respected and equal. I know that these monologues and the way they are told has been a great hit with women on several continents. But men must see it and men must be moved by it if we are going to get anywhere.

The book has a slight advantage over the play because it was foreworded by Gloria Steinem. Which brings to light many important facts about women in society and although she is a feminist she doesen't like to divide people into different groups. We all need to move forward together. She also gives us little tidbits of information. Such as how many patriarchal religious buildings resemble the female reproductive system. With the vestibule doors representing the Labia Minora and Labia Majora. The vaginal aisle leading to the uterus alta with rounded ovarian structures on either side. As well as how the symetrical shape we all consider to symbolise the heart, more truly resembles the Vulva or Yoni, which it was probably originally meant to symbolize.

This book teaches us not to be afraid to use the word vagina. One quote says 'What are we saying about our bodies if we can't say vagina'. If you are visiting a Doctor and want to be taken seriously. Don't say 'It's my front bottom.'
on 31 May 2017
The term "dont judge a book by its cover" is very relevant here. Inspiring book a must read for all. A message for women of all shapes and sizes to accept who they are, their body, their image and above all Vagina!.. A message to men to appreciate a woman and all she is capable of. Hats off to the author!
on 13 September 2010
So this is going to sound really cheesy but I'm going to say it anyway: this book made me love my vagina. I read it when I was 15, and before the book came along I had the usual teenage thoughts and insecurities, including fears that my vagina didn't look nice enough, or smell nice enough, and that no person would ever want to go down there. It wasn't triggered by anything, they were just silly worries, and that general feeling I got that we weren't supposed to talk about our "down there". But then I read this book where I was told that my vagina was awesome, and beautiful, and deserving of love and orgasms, and all those silly unfounded insecurities just melted away. It's a short, lucid book (which suited the impulsive 15-year-old me), based on interviews with hundreds of women who discussed their vaginas with Eve Ensler, some for the very first time. The result is a varied series of monologues, dealing with experiences such as sex, menstruation, men, rape, birth, hair and orgasms. The beauty of the Vagina Monologues is that it's tragic, hilarious, powerful, painful, outrageous and exciting, and despite the violence and tragedy that surrounds women's sexuality in some of the stories, overall it's an empowering and positive affirmation of all things vaginal! (The monologues in the book are exactly the same as those in the live theatre show, so if you've seen the show already, you won't find anything new in the book.)
on 23 August 2017
Great book. Recommended to all women.
on 16 May 2017
It was a brave thing to write but it seemed slight and could have dealt with the ussues more deeply.
on 21 May 2001
If your vagina could speak, what would it say? What would it wear? These are some of the questions asked of women during the research that became The Vagina Monologues, a internationally successful play about vaginas.
But the Vagina Monologues is not really just about vaginas, but about how they make people feel. At times entertaining, at times heart-wrenchingly sad, the book recounts the various experiences of women and their vaginas: a dominatrix; an elderly woman, unfamiliar with "down there"; a rape victim; a participant on a vagina workshop.
This is a liberating and educational read for both men and women. The mild titillation of finding the word VAGINA emblazoned across the cover soon turns to deep sympathy, empathy and introspection (and inspection!).
on 20 March 2002
I picked up this book at the airport without knowing anything about it last July. Despite the fact that my teenage sons were acutely embarrassed that I was reading a book with the word vagina emblazoned across the cover in red (their education started right there!), I could not put it down until I read every word between the covers - luckily it was a long enough flight to finish. Since then I have bought 11 copies as gifts, have been to see the play 4 times (each time dragging along groups of reluctant men or eager women. This book should be compulsory reading for all men who want to understand where women 'are coming from' and all women who want to fee empowered. I am wondering if it sounds too ridiculous to say that this book changed my life. Perhaps that is an overstatement but it certainly changed the way that I feel about my own body.
It is a collection of monologues about the 'blameless vulva' written from different perspectives and covering all aspects of self-image, body awareness, female oppression, violence and a little bit of sex too. It is often very funny, but within minutes you will find yourself crying as some of the monologues are poignant and distressing. Eve Ensler has been incredibly brave in facing many of the issues head on.
Don't hesitate - buy it.
0Comment| 86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse