on 2 May 2001
Peter Hoeg's collection of love stories each examines a different kind of love. Public love, private love, forbidden love and nothing is as it seems. It is particularly compelling as the reader can feel sympathy with each of the characters, from the father who risks losing the love of his son for the sake of his male lover, to the couple famous because of their love, who, in reality, spend their time in private loathing each other to the point of murder.
The translation is excellent, and the pace of the stories entices the reader onwards through the book.
on 6 September 2015
Reading Smilla, I was determined to buy another book by the same author. Reading the reviews on amazon, I thought this book was a good choice. Unfortunately, I think that Tales of the night is a completely different style and was a rather disappointing read. Only one chapter got my attention, but was not a perfect buy to take away on holiday. I left the book on a bookshelf in the hotel's library where we stayed, hoping that someone else might enjoy it better than I have.
on 17 October 2013
Chosen because I enjoy the author's work.
Quite reminiscent of Joseph Conrad's "Heart Of Darkness", perhaps too much so.
Unlikely attitudes of principal characters.