on 19 January 2007
This book was given to me as a gift by somebody I used to work with (Thank you Ross) following hearing it on Radio 4 as a play.

The story is like a breath of fresh air in what can seem to be a complicated and troubled world. I tend to read this if I need to re-ground myself, and it never fails to deliver.

I have also read it to my children as bedtime stories, and they all love it. I tend to feel if everybody read this book the world would be a nicer place.

Please read it and see for yourself.
on 9 September 1999
This edition (by the Harvill Press of London) is particularly handsome--the woodcuts used to illustrate the pages are better than on the other editions I've seen, and the cover is in fine paper, rather than in the generic chrome-coated covers of other editiions I've seen. If you're going to buy this book, this is the copy you'll want.
on 2 December 2007
The title of this short story gives it away. It's the tale of a man's dedication to planting trees, how it has a profound effect on one traveller and a region of south-east France. The message for us in this allegorical tale, is that with focus and dedication on the right thing, we can have an impact which far outweighs our initial effort. This isn't just a book for people who love trees, it's for anyone who recognises the importance of the environment and the need not just to protect, but to help regenerate it.
I found it while staying with friends and read it after everyone had gone to bed - nightime accentuated its sense of mythical.
on 21 September 2011
This book was bought for me by a dear friend many years ago. I have lost count of the number of people I have given it to myself now. It is such a gentle timeless tale. This book is ideal for a gift for those you love , but also for those you don't know that well but want to give something special to.
on 30 March 2015
A very strange experience. I read the book in about half an hour, and initially felt very uplifted and inspired. I loved the prints, and the book is physically a lovely object. Then I read the afterword, in which the author's daughter mocks various publishers and readers for taking the story literally, as if it were fact rather than fiction; but of course I'd done the same thing. The story is uplifting because the reader believes it to be a simple truth. As a simple fiction it feels like a bit of a con. And then I wonder why I feel that way; after all, it should be inspiring whether it happened or not. The Wikipedia article on the book points out that there are lots of real-life counterparts of the protagonist. So why do I feel so conflicted about it? I think because the point of the little book is to show that someone did make a difference despite all the odds against it; and if that turns out to be a fiction, well, maybe the reader is a fool for believing it that the odds can be beaten. A lovely book that has left me feeling really odd.
on 5 July 2012
This wonderful parable could be one of the most important stories ever to be written. It inspired me to germinate and plant walnuts into the wild. These trees will ultimately provide valuable food for future generations as well as a valuable timber resource to replace tropical hardwoods. I am already harvesting nuts from trees that are less than 20 years old and these trees will still be bearing fruit 200 years from now. The ultimate in permaculture.
on 18 December 2009
The Man Who Planted Trees is a heartwarming story which is acccompanied by some excellent illustrations.
It just shows what determination can do and what can be accomplished by someone who persues an ideal over the course of a lifetime.

Highly recommended.
on 16 September 2013
Full of life's truths if everyone read this our world would be a better place.
please read this and pass it on to those you know and if we all look after or world a bit better as a result we will all be happier and the world will be a greener and pleasanter land.
on 19 August 2013
The Man Who Planted Trees is a very short book which describes a shepherd who plants Oak and Beech trees in France and the subsequent protection the so called natural forest receives. A good story about how to live life now.
on 11 March 2014
A wonderful story of how someone's determination to make a difference can succeed. Set in the Alps it tells the story of how out of the barren wilderness a beautiful forest emerges To say anymore would spoil the story A great read, highly recommended