Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 February 2004
This book is about a lion named Leo who didn't fit in with his pride, because he just wanted to look for love and make friends with other animals in the jungle. After he was forced to leave the pride of lions, Leo did his best to help every kind of animal in the jungle, but never asked for a thing. Eventually, he became the king of animals in a different way.
The lovely colorful cover of this book will catch your eye in the bookshop. The illustrations are animated and charming as if you were in tropical Africa. From the illustrations page by page, Leo's enthusiasm and kindness are obviously an important part of the whole story. And the most brilliant drawing is the one in which Leo's friends arrive at the bank and link themselves up tail to paw to rescue him. How smart this is!
However, in this book the thing which really moves me is the moral of the story. By means of the plot, Leo's unique way of thinking and his brave deeds deserve much praise. Although he didn't identify with his pride at first, he still knew what he really wanted. Most of the time we are taught that we are supposed to do something in a particular way. If you can't get your own convictions accepted, you will follow common concepts to live your life. Nevertheless, the ending of this book offers us a distinct way of thinking, showing us we can be what we want to be, and understand the most valuable gift in the world is love. As long as we can open our minds to accept the world, we will find much love, and we can make any dreams come true, even if they are achieved in a more difficult way.
This excellent book is worth reading as a bed-time story.
on 19 July 2002
My 7 year old son introduced me to this story.
He produced it at bed time for me to read to my 4 children - 9, 7, and twins 5.
The poem was so fluid and easy to read. The moral story of Love and courage, shareing and careing was so beautifully told that i was quite moved by the end.
A delightful book to be read again and again by all ages!
Mt daughters favourite book is Giraffes Can't Dance (Orchard Picturebooks) and this book was shown on the back cover, and she wanted it. It has not disappointed.

This is the story of a baby lion cub called Leo who does not want to kill animals, instead to love them for what they are. He is banished from the pride because of this. He sees 2 baby animals that the cheetahs are going to eat, and he rescues them by leading them to safety. He then nurses them back to heath. His mission is then to help any animal that needs help, no matter what they are. One day when helping an animal being swept down the river, he saves the animal from drowning but cant get out and is swept downstream to the waterfall. All the animals in the jungle come together to help Leo and pull him out the river. His family take him back because they realise that by helping others, he is a stronger lion.

A great story that is well written and beautifully drawn. This also has a great moral in that to be different and help people, and you will be rewarded by feeling good in yourself.
on 7 October 2009
I love this book and have given it as gifts to a number of children.

It tells the story of a lion cub who has no wish to fight and hunt other animals, but instead just wants to love them and be friends with them. His mother is worried that Leo will never survive in the wild if he does not learn to hunt for his food. Because he doesn't want to harm other animals he is told to leave the pride and so he goes off on his own and proceeds to make friends and live with the other animals in the jungle. He takes care of them and rescues them when they get into difficulties. Eventually Leo, with the help of his jungle friends, saves a young cheetah that falls into a river, and all the othere lions agree that he is a very brave lion and asks him to become their king, because he has so much love in his heart.

A wonderful story of how love can overcome all difficulties. The illustrations are colourful, lively and endearing. A great story with a moral that eaches children the benefits of love.
on 16 August 2001
I love this book as much as my three year old son. The illustrations are beautiful and so colourful and the words and story are lovely.It also conveys a good message/philosophy. We were bought this as a gift and we now give it where we can.
on 21 January 2014
I bought this for my 7 year old son as I am sick of taking it out of the library! He loves lions and this book is a lovely tale of a lion who didn't want to be like the others. The narrative is a easy poem and as he struggles with his reading he finds it easy to read as it flows so well.

It is a really lovely book to snuggle at bedtime with, even my 9 year old likes it although I doubt he would admit it to his friends!
on 4 October 2013
Bought this for my 6 year old granddaughter, she has others in the series. absolutely loves these books and in particular this one because granddad bought it for her. wants to read it to me every time she sees me
on 27 March 2009
After receiving home from my childs nursery 'the giraffe who could not dan
nce, it charmed and entertained us in equal measure. I immediately came on here to find out other titles from Giles Andreae. I was hoping for a fun book with educational lessons. It did not disappoint!
It is a fabulous introduction to teaching pre-school children wonderful lessons in social morality and humanity. This is a book which I love to read to my child. I believe entertainment value is important to both parent and child.
I recommend any book by this author!
on 29 July 1999
Another firm favourite of my 30 month old toddler's. Such a delightful rhyming story which is very easy to read and the illustrations are gorgeous. As my son loved it so much, I'm trying "Commotion in the Ocean" by the same author, which I'm sure will be just as good as this one!
on 19 August 2011
Such a cute book! I was a little dubious at first but the plot is amusing and funny and the illustrations are very nice. One star deducted as some of the rhymes are kind of cumbersome so it doesnt always trip smoothly off the tongue when reading aloud.