Customer reviews

on 14 May 2011
I am applying the same review to all these books. I have bought Access, Word, Powerpoint, Spreadsheet books. The only fault is the awful binding which prevents you from opening the book flat. The books need a spiral binding so, if you know someone with a guillotine - print room or printers - slice the binding off and punch holes in the books.

I have been using Microsoft Office since 1998 and have used a number of books. For software manuals this is reasonably priced - at least you can select what you want and thereby pay in installments. Buying a set will be about the equivalent of buying one large comprehensive book.

Probably the best set of books for the average user that I have used. Well set out and easy to understand without superfluous info. You must have done the ECDL basic course first to understand the advanced books. Even if you have been using MSOffice as long as I have you can still learn something and revise what you thought you knew with the basic ECDL course.

Having said this the evening class course for advanced ECDL cost me £400 plus exam fee. The pass mark for each test is 75% and I failed Excel and Word with 70% each. The retake would have cost £45 per subject. Ask yourself how often you will need to use the advanced functionalities and whether your managers know of it and will understand or appreciate your advanced competence - I doubt they will reward it sufficiently to cover your expense - unless they pay for the course, books and any re-takes.

I recommend these books as excellent reference books so that you know where to browse when you need the information. Be ready to move on to the new 2010 versions if your company is going to upgrade. I think that they will help you with conversion from XP 2002/3.
on 12 February 2013
Best to have decent basic skills, but the content in his book is great for learning and for continual reference.

Being able to download a batch of file that you use to work on while you progress through the book is great - a lot better than having to think of or create files from scratch. Working this way will help you understand different processes but helping you realise where you can or could use these excel treats in you everyday life.

I have transformed my excel from being average and competent to being excellent and outstanding (not being arrogant) this has had a massive impact on how I am perceived at my work place and I am not a trusted advisor in just over a year.

I still have more to learn, but making sense of data and being able to manipulate it takes you to a new level with your skill set.
on 29 January 2010
Please don't buy these books. They really are dreadful.

Wait and see if someone else releases a textbook for the Advanced 2.0 course.
on 4 April 2013
The whole set of CIA training manuals for all 4 ECDL Advanced modules are well put together, extremely concise and are for use along with files downloaded from the CIA site. Good investment for anyone sitting ECDL advanced.
on 22 November 2012
I choose rate 5 for this product because it is comprehensive review for the ECDL ADV Spreadsheet examination.

I really liked this book and I do recommend for the students who are prepared for the ECDL ADV Exe; exam.
on 20 October 2014
Great book for anyone working in IT, great quality as well.
on 30 October 2014
Helped me pass my exam
on 29 March 2010
Well, I bought 3 books from Amazon, however I only need to complete 2 from those three to gain the qualification! Oops! First mistake. I'm currently on Section 17 of 19 of AM4 Spreadsheets. Just 2 more sections until I've been through once. That's after 5 weeks of a 30 week course - I think I will manage all 3 books by the end of the course. About 10 weeks each?

I have found the book to be straight-forward, light-weight, easy to carry to college or use at home, black and white - no colour illustrations or screen-shots at all (which there were in the Extra textbook by a different publisher!)
on 20 January 2011
Firstly, these books are used to test yourself as you work the course before you get near taking exams; the data files and exam samples are provided by the college.
I have three different books - WORD, EXCEL & PowerPoint - which are excellent for testing yourself.
The books are concise, well structured in terms of the way the topics are seperated from each other and resultantly easy to spend your time efficiently.
The course itself is tough but I've just passed my first exam, partly due to the book so I'd recommend it.
on 25 October 2014
A very clear and understandable way to learn.