on 13 October 1999
This book is printed on high quality glossy paper, alas that is all the quality it has. For a book with the title The Alexander Technique Manual I would have expected lots of information on techniques, instead the reader is bombarded with suggestion to go and see an Alexander Technique teacher - perhaps the book should be called "Sales brochure" instead of manual. Although the author puts forward a few ideas for posture, they are very sparse and constantly refer to how a teacher would show you rather than instruction on 'how to'. When you finish reading the book, you are left with a feeling of why did I buy it? As the author himself states "the experience of the Alexander Technique can never be described in a book or conveyed by speech." pity that isn't printed on the cover, it would have saved me the money for my first lesson with a teacher. The Alexander Technique is no doubt a marvellous aid to sufferers of back and joint problems and reducing stresses in the body, but this sort of expensive book does nothing to further the cause. The info in this book could have easily been printed in B&W on far lower quality paper with a much lower price tag, and not lost anything as a result....
11 Comment| 115 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 21 June 2017
quite a helpful book in terms of the photographs for the basic positions and some helpful commentary, not a heady book as often
the Alexandra technique can be quite intellectual , but useful for understanding the concepts involved.
on 17 October 2017
A very comprehensive account of the Alexander Technique, in good condition.
on 14 October 2017
VERY USEFULL
on 5 December 2009
Posture is important. Not standing rigidly straight like our mothers told us but natural posture. At first, it sounds a little redundant. Of course, I stand, sit, and walk in a natural way. However, it's amazing the strain we put our bodies through without even recognizing it. After twisting our bodies like pretzels, we then wonder why we have neck, shoulder, or back pain.

The Alexander Technique Manual is a good basic resource that literally shows us how awkwardly the majority of us sit, stand, and walk. The key to making changes is pretty straightforward, beginning with awareness. We can't change what we don't know exists. A few mindful exercises and some minor modifications can really make a difference.

On this one, I do highly suggest seeing a professional trained in The Alexander Technique. He or she will see things that you won't necessarily notice. Still, simply by paying attention to body pain, strain, stiffness, or awkward movements and then making small changes, you can make a world of difference even on your own.
on 6 February 2001
This is that rare book on the Alexander Technique, one that manages to explain the key principles in clear English. It is an excellent introduction and, in conjunction with lessons from a certified teacher, is sure to bring the reader the very best results from the technique.
If other reviewers bemoan the fact that lessons from a certified teacher are still required, they will have missed the point of the technique. Whilst a book can provide much useful information, nothing can substitute for the experience of a teacher. Teachers qualify after a rigorous 3 year course and it would be unlikely that a single book could ever be a substitute for some lessons. What this book does admirably is to explain what the technique is and how it works and to motivate the reader to take the technique further with one-to-one lessons or group workshops.
0Comment| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 18 February 2010
A very good book. Easy to understand with excellent pictures for guidance.

I'm learning Alexander Technique and have shown this book to my teacher.
She's looked at it and is getting a copy for herself.
on 27 January 2013
Although, I've taken some Alexander Techique classes this book has allowed me a little further investigation and provided me with reminders of what I've been learning in the one to one class.
on 13 June 2012
No more back ache, Feel taller and very conscience of my posture
and it doesn't take long to do exercises or get results.
on 2 January 2013
. Good book very easy to read, helpful pictures. Good value for money. good to read before finding a teacher.