on 10 January 2014
My first reading was not about any problems but about finding the correct pathway to the intuition. There are many pathways, mostly expressive pathways which are used to communicate with members of our species.

Then the next day once I found the pathway I went deeper into a room of paintings. Normally when a pick a card I find it on one of these paintings.

I am not very subtle with intuition, though I specialize in passion and in Kindle I have published a book called 101 Aphorisms On The Pathos And Nature Of Passion. Passion is in no way connected to intuition so I found it a good deal and no cards were missing.

Surprisingly can be used for future readings past 2 years but one has to find an external pathway into reality. Though I am guessing this deck is not intended for this purpose, will do an update to this review in 3 years time, maybe....
on 9 July 2008
i'm pretty new to tarot, and have collected several decks over the past year, but this is the first to speak directly to my soul. following in the rider-waite tradition, every card tells a story which is a remarkable achievement by the artist. the images have an art nouveau feel - fluid, organic shapes and strong facial features - my first reaction was they'd been created in the 1920s! i'm really looking forward to working with these cards and recording my intuitive responses to each card in the lovely 240pp book included in the set!
on 9 August 2015
I bought this deck at the London Tarot Festival 4th of July weekend, having never seen a single card of it. This is something I have never done before. My tarot life began in the digital age, where any tarot you can think of can be viewed and ordered online. It was a new experience for me, and an impulse buy. I thought I'd give you my impressions of the deck having worked with it for a week.

Thoth Influence
The first thing I said to myself when I starting flicking through this deck was 'Thoth-based'. Now that I have worked with it for a time, I would amend that to 'Thoth-influenced'. There are only a few cards that use images directly from Thoth: Hermit, Strength, Hanged Man and Sun. The rest of the deck may be reminiscent of Thoth in mood, but that is down to art style and not the deck's system or meanings. The majority of the deck seems to me to lean far more toward the traditional RWS, not just because the pip cards are illustrated and most of them are riffs on the RWS images, but because the interpretations supplied in the companion book seem to me, on the whole, to be more Waite than Crowley.

Rider Waite Smith
For example, though the art style may have a slightly Thothy feel and Thothy names (Discs instead of Pentacles), the scenes are decidedly RWS: 3 of Cups, 8 of Swords, 6 of Swords and 8 of Discs all have the RWS scenes we might expect. The 3 of Cups shows 3 revelers lifting their cups to the sky. The 8 of Swords shows someone tied up, surrounded by swords (though the means of escape is not quite so obvious in this depiction). the 6 of Swords shows the classic retreat to new shores in a boat. And the 8 of Discs shows the craftsman or apprentice churning out copies of his product. There are several more cards that keep to an RWS image and similar interpretation, so this deck would be comfortable for those unfamiliar with Thoth.

The Divine Feminine
You may have noticed the prominence of the oval shape in this deck. Even the box has a special design with an oval opening, and all the cards are framed by an oval. In the introduction of the companion book, Cilla explains that the oval frame 'appeared very early in the journey' and is a reflection of her 'discovery of the Divine Feminine' and 'early Goddess cultures'. It isn't quite a vesica piscis, but close enough (in fact the oval is more pleasing to my eye than the pointed vesica piscis).

We could be all refined and explore the history of the vesica piscis, but instead we'll talk about full frontal boobage. The boobies kinda stood out at me in this deck, so I counted them up. We got bare norks on: High Priestess, Empress, Strength, Devil, Star, World, Queen of Cups, and Queen of Rods and let's just say none of them need any corrective surgery. So if you don't want no nipples in your tarot, be warned.

Courts
Court cards are important to me in a deck. The courts here are okay. They're mostly close-ups in profile, but most of them have enough detail to make a start, though I must be honest and say if you don't already know something about tarot, I'm not sure how much you could come up with about personality of the courts just by looking at these images. The Pages are all female, which is nice.

The colours in of the each suit roughly match. The Discs are more or less yellow (more money than earth if you ask me). Cups are blue. Swords vary a bit but tend to be reddish, and Rods are kind of dark blueish. Not particularly coded to the Elemental attributions, then. This is not really a problem for me. Sometimes stark colour-coding can be trite.

'Intuitive' Imagery
I've noticed a tendency for people to talk more about their 'intuition' when a card is a bit different from expected, or if the art work is more abstract, so that you have to look for images, rather like tea leaf reading. You get a bit of that in this deck in several cards, such as seven of Discs and One of Cups, One of Rods, Two of Discs, Ten of Discs and Four of Rods.

The Companion Book
Cilla Conway references Carl Jung, synchronicity, gestalt therapy and shadow work frequently throughout the book, and some have said this is quite a 'psychological' deck. After an introduction, Conway presents each card, two pages for each major with a blank page for your own 'intuitive notes', and for each minor, one and a half pages with half a page left for notes.

Of particular interest to me are the 'dialogue' prompts for each card. These are meant to help us step into the card and experience it. Here are a couple of examples:

Major - Strength -- 'Dropping down into the image of the lion, connect with your own shadow (your fear, rage, greed, fury). To deny such emotions is to deny your own humanity. Try to draw or write about the type of creature that would feel such dark emotions. Don't edit or erase. If you find yourself wanting to do so, stop and look at what lies behind the urge, because that will probably be particularly revealing. Once you have done this, talk to your shadow. Seeing it as an ally, rather than repressing it, frees up its energy and allows your psyche to begin its transmutation into wholeness.'

Minor - Nine of Rods -- 'When you drop into the image, discover his story by dialoguing with the figure, both in the third person and in the first. You may like to think about constancy and resolve, courage and self-defence. Is anything in your life so important that you would die in defence of it? In your dialogue with the figure as yourself, you may like to consider how you feel about his naked vulnerability. I found I hated the idea so much I gave him some weapons!'

Verdict
Overall, I find this deck quite pleasing. It was a happy accident that I encountered it and I look forward to working with it more over the years.
on 22 October 2004
I've been reading the tarot for ten years, and I've collected many different decks during that time, always searching for my perfect deck, the deck that would really speak to my soul. Well I've found it! This deck is so beautiful. I haven't stopped using the cards since I got them. Any excuse for a reading and I get them out - they're such a pleasure to use.
VINE VOICEon 1 November 2010
The deck is superb and worth 5 stars. The artwork is excellent and a springboard for your intuition.

However, there is a quality control issue and many sets are being sent out missing a few cards. Do check your deck as soon as you get it.
on 17 November 2015
I collect tarot decks and I've been finding it difficult to use a deck that could be reliable and easy to use for simple readings -until I came across Cilla Conway's The Intuitive Tarot. It can be used creatively as well as literally, it sparks the imagination and, as stated, it 'unlocks the power of your unconscious'. I am so pleased with it, I am now using it all the time. And by the way, the artwork is first quality and a delight to look at!
on 24 February 2016
Cilla has created pure magic and inspiration here. Everyone I have worked with this masterpiece has been amazed - lots of smiles.
on 16 October 2010
Love the cards. So great to work with very nice way to strengthen your intuition. i just wish cards were little thicker.
on 27 December 2012
This was a gift for my daughter and she loved it. The parcel arrived in good time for christmas. Thanks
on 25 October 2007
In her book, the Intuitive Tarot, Cilla Conway says:

"The Intuitive Tarot had its beginning one evening in 1973 when a doodle of the Fool appeared unbidden on my page. His eyes, strange and compelling, invited me to follow him into his world. I have been following him ever since. You may not find him appealing; he overthrows our comfortable convictions, making us question our values and those of society; but if you want to recover joy and innocence in your life, the Fool is the figure you need to connect with."

If you are familiar with the classical tarot decks such as Raider Waite (which I adore), you will be able to read and use The Intuitive Tarot easily. Cilla gives guidance on both traditional meanings and intuitive interpretations she developed. The Major and Minor Arcana cards are introduced in turn and there is space for the reader to record their own impressions of each card. The information Cilla provides for each card in the book, is enriched with a blend of Jungian, Greco-Classical, and Mythology.

In Cilla's book information on each card is sectioned into: aspects of each card, how to work with it, to dialogue with it, starter interpretation, and reversed interpretation. The dialogues are thought provoking and can be used as visualisations to help familiars yourself with each image. The first thing I learnt from my friend and teacher Merryn José was how to communicate with each card, and find out what it means to me, as it appears in various positions, or houses, in a spread; upright as well as reversed. The Intuitive Tarot and its accompanying book allow you to do just that.

Art and Intuition

While one can be subjective about art, Cilla Conway's Intuitive Tarot is about releasing one's intuition. And, there is something for everyone - if you allow the images to `communicate' with you. Each card's image is unique and dynamic, swirls, spirals, flowing lines, and stylised elongated figures with alien-like faces seem to move and leap across the cards with such energy. If you listen well, you can hear nature's elements too!

The colours are often serene allowing the Intuitive Tarot's energy and movement to whisper something to you as you study each card. At times the images seem retro, at others glimpses of Ancient Egypt appear - other moments the cards have a `galactic' feel. The figures are often nude, daring, and honest taking the reader beyond the usual interpretation.

Cilla's decision to paint every `scene' or image within the construct of an egg; left a great impression on my mind. For her, the oval shape reflects the Divine Feminine, an area she was drawn to early in her studies. This is echoed in the packaging of the cards too. Form the outset, you know that you will `crack that egg' and release your imagination.

For me, the oval shape seemed to resemble a magical concave (sometimes convex) mirror, where I `step out of the frame' and observe what the magical mirror is about to reveal. Each time, new impressions are awakened in the reader's mind.

Using the Intuitive Tarot

My favourite images of the major cards are the Sun, The Moon, The Star, Temperance and (yes) the Tower. The distorted base and image of the building really gives the feel that the image is being reflected through a convex mirror - as though one is scrying into it.

For me, the bolt of lighting and the image of the tower itself are about use of technology, the Internet, and the speed of spreading information or communication (Broadband). I found her interpretation of the Tower particularly modern and contemporary; and that of the Chariot really intriguing.

I found myself particularly drawn to Cilla's artistic interpretation of the minor cards, namely the wands (or as she prefers to call them, rods) and the pentacles (discs), where I felt her artistic ability as well as intuition were truly free and inspired. Among my favourite ones are, the one of Rods, the eight of Rods, and the three of Discs. The words `disc' triggered a new interpretation for me, and I experienced a unique aspect of `pentacles'.

The more I work with Cilla Conway's cards, the more I appreciate the originality of her art and interpretation. I find the images stimulate the mind in new directions. It took Cilla nearly twenty years for her dream to manifest - and the results are a delight. She now conducts workshops on the subject (see below); I strongly recommend that you participate in one.

Cilla is a London-based artist using a variety of media: video, installation, photography and painting. She is also the author and creator of the Intuitive Tarot and Deva Cards. She also teaches at the College of Psychic Studies.