on 8 March 2017
As one would expect, of high standard
on 27 May 2014
I have owned this set for over 25 years. The book is wonderful. Wise words, apt interpretations, and it gently encourages you to go deeper into the subject, and to be mindful in your dealings and relations. My only criticism is that after 25 years of use, 2 of my runes have actually broken..... so I'm looking to buy or preferably make a new set. I will be keeping the book and pouch though, and still use Blums' suggested spreads. A wonderful divination tool and this book is perfect for anyone looking to understand more about the subject.
33 Comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 May 2007
This book should be part of any collection for those interested in the recent (c 1980) revival of interest in the runes. It is still the highest selling rune book internationally, but also one of the least researched.

When it was first published, the academic sources were not very available to the public, although they would have been available to Blum had he made the effort. Instead, he created a simple divination system, based more on his own readings of the I Ching than the known historical sources of runic knowledge.

There is a wealth of information in the old rune poems, and in the original futhark ordering of the runes. Blum ignores both. However, at least Blum never claimed to be reconstructing an old system. On the other hand, unfortunately, most of his readers assume that there is some real historical content in the book.

For those who are looking for an esoteric book about runes based on, and respectful of, our real available historical cultural heritage, this is certainly not it.

I would recommend Pollington's "Rudiments of Runelore" to provide a minimum factual background, before wasting time on any of the New-Age manuals.
on 17 October 2013
I have this book myself and bought this copy to send to a friend of mine in NZ. There is much debate about who interprets the runes in the best way bit I have to tell you that having used this one for years I find it works for me!
on 9 January 2007
I have owned this book for eight years and have been using it for just as many. Never once have I found the interpretation of my readings to be immediately understood or shallow, like some ready-made recipe for idiots; it always presupposed some thinking on my behalf in order to locate my blind spots. What is more, it has always been eerily accurate, both for me and other people I have been doing readings for. It is a well written, easily understood first introduction to runes for beginners. I understand that Blum uses a different system than what many people consider usual or even valid. Thing is, it works. I have seen it and experienced it. If you are a scholar looking for an in-depth research on the history and interpretation of the runes and their relation to the Norse tradition, then this is not your book. But if you are looking for a day-to-day guide with the runes as a compass, grab it and run. There are four pages of selected bibliography at the end of the book with a lot of material for those who want to study more.
on 7 July 2013
I bought it as a gift for a friend and she is absolutely thrilled . I t was the 25th Anniversary edition...I was gifted a set about 25 years ago so was delighed to gift them to somebody else and for her to learn about them...
on 10 March 2014
I've read books on runes before and couldn't really make out what was being said.
This is refreshingly readable, very knowledgeable and above all, points the way to how to use runes for one's spiritual growth.

I might add, there is nothing 'anti-Christian' in this book.

I hadn't realised it came with runes, which was a great added bonus.
on 14 March 2014
I have always been interested in Runes, and for many years have used tarot. But I was drawn to this as it covered everything I needed to know on how to get me started using the runes. I was well impressed when it arrived, as it was how they described it on the site. The services was excellent, it arrived the next day, wrapped up well and undamaged. Would differently go to that site again to order from them. I am looking forward now to learning about runes.
on 2 March 2014
Brilliant, the runes really work, book is full of useful information, really interesting read and explains how to use the runes in a simple way.
on 22 December 2015
I have owned a copy of this for over 30 years and now my daughter has one!
A beautiful book with well made runes.