Customer reviews

Pa Arddodiad: A Check-list of Welsh Prepositions
Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 June 2017
just goes to show how complex the Welsh language is, llyfr diddorol.
on 10 August 2010
On the outside it claims the book to be, "A check list of Welsh prepositions" - inside it becomes, "A check list of verbal prepositions." Nowhere could I find an explanation, in English, of what the difference is, if there is a difference, so I started out by trying to solve a mystery rather than being able to forge ahead and use the book.

There is no English explanation of how the book should be used - another mystery, perhaps an assumption has been made that by the time somebody learning Welsh has reached prepositions they have also reached a level of fluency that means there is no need to give explanations in English. Not so in my case!

It translates most of the basic verbs from Welsh to English (at least one, 'codi', is not translated, I assume this is an error, not intentional) but doesn't explain the use of the preposition. For example it states that dringo = to climb. It then tells you that you can use am - ar - at - dros after dringo and before 'rywbeth' (using 'rywbeth' as a substitute for the actual 'thing') but it does not tell you which preposition is appropriate in which situation. It does, however, inform you that you can also dringo trwy 'rywbeth' - for example niwl (climb through fog). If such examples had been given throughout it would have been a very useful book but I, for one, am no wiser as to which preposition to use (am - ar - at) when I am climbing up Snowdon. I can make a guess that I will use 'dros' if I am going across Snowdon - but I'm not too keen on guesswork and I bought this book to give me answers, to help me - not to leave me more confused than I was before I read it.

No doubt if you speak Welsh fluently, or are at a very advanced learning stage, you will see this book in a different light but, for early/intermediate learners I believe it to be of minimal help.
on 2 February 2017
Very handy little book for learners. Prepositions is difficult to get your head around this is a perfect size to take to classes and the content has everything you need to help you if you get stuck.

Ardderchog!!
on 9 December 2015
A good reference with some knowledge of the subjuct, not an instruction manual.
on 9 August 2010
This book is an alphabetical list of welsh verbs which are followed by a preposition, with an English translation. Looks pretty comprehensive to me - I haven't tried to go through from a-y but have dipped in to find the particular verbs I want.
on 6 January 2015