Customer reviews

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 11 June 2014
I was slightly disappointed in this book as I thought it would contain how to tips and although I have lots of decor books I am always looking for another one...I think this book is great for someone who doesn't have many decor books and isn't into the vintage floral look. This is more vintage pieces combined with modern pieces. I gave this to my sister as a gift as I felt she would benefit more from it than I would. It was quite expensive for what it contained though. Beautiful photographs and lovely text, but there are other books out there that are better value for money.
on 15 May 2012
For anyone trying successfully to mix modern and vintage stuff, this book is an absolute must. With stunning photography and authoritative text and tips, we really liked the way the book was organised room by room. Anyone who comes over to our house immediately picks it up from the coffee table and loves it!! Highly recommended.
on 19 May 2012
I loved this book!
The houses featured are real life, comfortable and liveable spaces which seem familiar to me as an artist and designer.
This is a great reminder of how placement and a few well chosen pieces make a beautiful home and that every now and then you need to look at your living space with a fresh critical eye
The rooms photographed are the antithesis of stifling over manicured /manufactured ideas and give a palpable sense of their owner's characters.
A guide to show how to make bespoke handmade pieces work with clean modern textures and well loved inherited furniture and objects.
on 19 May 2012
Having read Katherine Sorell's books before, I anticipated another enlightening read supported by attractive photographs and, having perused both flysheet and introduction before getting into the book, was not disappointed. The Vintage Modern Home delivers exactly what the introduction says in a thoroughly interesting and helpful way.
Just the book for the aspiring home designer without a fortune to spend, though possibly not for Russian oligarchs.The Vintage/Modern Home
on 16 June 2014
This book gives excellent advice on how to achieve a lot with little money and tips on putting a style together. I would recommend this book to designers with a budget and those who do not wish to throw out their old furniture and start anew. Putting together old and new in a stylish way is covered very well in this book.
on 31 December 2014
Very wordy and a bit boring. Relies heavily on the notion that you already have a wealth of antique furniture lying around the house rather than making suggestions on how to find them. Would not recommend
on 10 January 2013
Purchased as a gift for my sister-in-law who loves all things vintage. She loved it! Arrived well packaged and very quickly.
on 3 September 2014
Good photos about putting the look together, based on buying rather than making.
on 12 December 2014
Good read/pictures
on 27 June 2012
Well - I'm obviously in the minority. I thought this somehow lacked 'inspiration' and was a bit safe. I agree with the sentiment of the reviewer who sad that it is almost as though any old images have been chosen for particular sections. Admittedly then are all in the same style in keeping with the book's title, but I guess I just expected a bit more than the same old type of image appearing throughout the book. Some of the advice is downright obvious - like the 'High Street' pages, which basically say that you can pick up some bargains on the high street and don't have to trawl through second hand shops etc all the time...

Maybe I'm being unfair. After all I actually LIKE nearly all the images in here. It just somehow feels as though the accompanying text does not pack enough content or punch.... its a very quick read. I'm returning to Design Sponge and Naomi Cleaver.