The Vintage/Modern Home
Format: Hardcover|Change

on 11 June 2014
I was slightly disappointed in this book as I thought it would contain how to tips and although I have lots of decor books I am always looking for another one...I think this book is great for someone who doesn't have many decor books and isn't into the vintage floral look. This is more vintage pieces combined with modern pieces. I gave this to my sister as a gift as I felt she would benefit more from it than I would. It was quite expensive for what it contained though. Beautiful photographs and lovely text, but there are other books out there that are better value for money.
on 16 June 2014
This book gives excellent advice on how to achieve a lot with little money and tips on putting a style together. I would recommend this book to designers with a budget and those who do not wish to throw out their old furniture and start anew. Putting together old and new in a stylish way is covered very well in this book.
on 3 September 2014
Good photos about putting the look together, based on buying rather than making.
on 31 December 2014
Very wordy and a bit boring. Relies heavily on the notion that you already have a wealth of antique furniture lying around the house rather than making suggestions on how to find them. Would not recommend
on 16 May 2012
Was excited to buy Katherine's new book and was not disappointed. Inspiring and very good for slipping away to soak in the bath and flick through... Highly recommend it for interior lovers!
on 12 December 2014
Good read/pictures
on 10 July 2014
Great
on 17 May 2012
Having just moved into a beautiful Edwardian home with lots of lovely period features, I bought this book to help inspire me with the decorating and furnishing. I'm a complete novice when it comes to knowing how to combine old and new features and furniture and have found the advice really helpful. The book is full of great photos too and provides lots of examples of how people have combined old and new furniture (and managed to pull it off!). I am now feeling very inspired - I just need to find the time to trawl the shops for the bits and pieces I need to furnish my own home as beautifully!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 18 January 2012
At last, a vintage interiors book that doesn't make me blush! One featuring rooms I can actually imagine living in. Not for Kathleen Sorrell the pink filter on the lens, the swags of lace, roses and chiffon, the filling of every surface with dust-attracting clutter. Oh bliss oh joy. An intelligent, relevant text, written in clear, elegant English, which actually tells me things I want to know, talks about design principles and the author's reasoning, rather than just describing what's in the photos.

This practical, sensible book shows us enviable rooms and then talks us through the process of creating our own unique look. Many of the rooms featured are in quite ordinary houses - not the massive lofts or quaint timber beach-houses so common in some books. I do think it's sometimes more "VINTAGE/MODERNE" - featuring a lot of "Contemporary" ie post-war stuff, but it's all worked together very nicely.

A clean, relaxed look which is agreeably masculine but would suit anyone who doesn't want to suffocate in flowery clutter. Talking about vintage, then if this book was a film star, it would be Katherine Hepburn, not Doris Day. If it were a musician, it would be Ray Davies, not Tiny Tim. If it were a car, it would be Morse's Jag, not a 2CV with daisies painted on the side.

I've been looking for a while for a book which will help me mix older things in with the practical ordinary things I have to buy, yet still acheive an effect which is stylish and zingy. Almost every book I've looked at has made me wince; the effect they aim at seems to be what my old dad would have called "tart's boudoir". In contrast, the style of decorating and furnishing in this book is ideal for families and couples; practical yet elegant, inexpensive but stylish. Well done Kathleen Sorrell. A book I will go back to again and again, rather than flicking through once to ogle the pictures.

If you like the look of this, you might also check out New Vintage - The Homemade Home: Beautiful Interiors and How-to Projects which has a nice restrained vibe, is very keen on sustainability, and has practicable-looking projects.
0Comment| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICETOP 500 REVIEWERon 29 February 2012
Katherine Sorrell writes with well-founded confidence; she is informed and experienced, with many successful publications behind her and years as a former Associate Editor of `Homes and Gardens'. Now busy writing magazine articles and books while bringing up her lively young family in Cornwall, Katherine has her finger on the pulse of everyday home life and knows just what is required for a happy, relaxing, personal style.

The Vintage Modern Home has much more to offer than many books of this genre, which are only headed for flicking through at the coffee table. Katherine Sorrell's text is friendly, helpful, and always quietly illuminating. The work is exhaustively indexed with a treasure box directory. Tremendous tips are scattered throughout that make you sit up and think, why didn't I realise/think of that? Useful lists could start you off on a project without the usual frustration of finding you are missing something important half way through. Easy DIY explanations are jolly handy too.

Colourful collections of excellent interior photographs are carefully selected from homes in many places - mostly UK, but some US, others European. These admirably demonstrate the possibility of using items previously perceived to be dated as still fresh, decorative and desirable furnishings. Iconic household objects have a new status in the twenty first century, keeping us reassuringly rooted in our recently remembered past, yet continuing to be useful and attractive today. Post war `Utility' items have survived remarkably well in many people's homes, as they seem to take everything that is thrown at them and can keep going indefinitely. Sourcing from auctions, second hand shops, skips even is covered and described in `how to' detail.

In order to create a look that can be easy on the eye, encouragement is given to paint several pieces in a uniform colour to bring coherence. No need to be precious, paintbrushes and sand paper are your friends; they can make all the difference. An education in the use of colour and texture is subtly slipped in to the text, something that can surprise and send you straight to work sorting out a sample board.

The photography can help in two ways, stimulating and inspiring or underlining what wouldn't really be to your taste. The importance of storage, the delightful patterned effect that piles of material, shelves of vintage crockery, and of course floor to ceiling book shelves can create are amongst the most richly gorgeous of suggestions photographed. Sunlight is shown streaming into bright colourful kitchens, informal, casual living rooms, welcoming halls, cocooningly individual bedrooms with comfy quilts and cushions. Bathrooms brought alive with a feeling of luxury, to lift the spirits. It's all in the clever, inexpensive, simple seeming touches. The heart on the cupboard door, the oversize mirror, the model yacht, the antique lamp, the mass of framed photographs, the bunting, the vases of garden flowers, the crocheted rugs. All that adds up to a Home not a House.

Everything about this book is bang on message, perfectly positioned for today's decorative values, kindly predisposed towards and understanding of the new austerity climate. Katherine Sorrell is the sensible, wise friend at your shoulder, dispensing useful suggestions, all the while modestly steering you along the right path without being bossy. It's really a mini interior design course for the times we live in!