on 13 September 2011
Alice Cooper was unquestionably at his best when he was doing his original theme albums back in the 70s. Billion Dollar Babies, School's Out, From the Inside, and of course the original Welcome to My Nightmare are the albums that everyone loves. Why? Because they were fun, and they were about the stories in the individual songs, and they were about playing with different musical styles.
Although Alice's recent fare has tried to emulate those philosophies, they haven't quite gotten there, trying too hard to be metal over rock. Understandably too, because Alice has, up to a point, done a good job of evolving with rock, and staying current. However, the best stuff he's ever done has been the classic Alice listed above.
And with Welcome 2 My Nightmare it is clear that when writing this album, the same kind of creativity has gone into every single song. With a couple of exceptions (which are by no means bad tracks), this album could easily be passed off as a remastered collection of unreleased tracks from the 70s. Although, why any of them would have been unreleased is beyond me, because they are all easily as good, if not (dare I say it) even a little better than some of the older tracks.
Of the more modern tracks,there's a disco/hip-hop song that could have been utterly cringeworthy, but works amasingly well. A total crossover track with, of all people for Alice to collaborate with, Ke$ha, that at first seems so wrong, because its so poppy, but then, its great tongue in cheek pop rock, which is one of the things that Alice Cooper excells at.
I don't want to do a track by track review, because part of whats great about this album is the surprises on it. Its clever, its funny, and its nostalgic whilst being really quite original.
I was really looking forward to this album, but a little worried that it might not be as good as it could be.
I have to say I was completely blown away by every track but one, and even that track is still decent. I'm so glad to see one of my favourite artists completely back on form.
on 25 October 2011
Bought this for my wife and she loves it.
If you're a fan of Welcome to My Nightmare and love the whole concept and storytelling aspects of it, you're going to love this!
on 12 October 2011
Finally after disappointing years welcome 2my nightmare is a new classic album ALICE welcome back this is a good,nice,crazy and funny nightmare.cooper on his best.
on 14 September 2011
Awesome! too busy listening to write and i have to write at least 20 words lol well here goes... buy it now, buy it now, buy it now, buy it now, buy it now, buy it now, buy it!
on 15 April 2016
VERY NICE ALBUM FOR TODAY'S STANDARDS BUT IT'S NOTHING LIKE THE FEELING OF THE FIRST NIGHTMARE. IT FEELS LIKE A WEIRD DREAM RATHER A NIGHTMARE. THANK YOU ALICE FOR ALL THOSE FEELINGS YOU HAVE OFFERED ME THROW YOUR MUSIC.YOU ARE A LEGEND!!!!!!!
on 4 July 2013
This is a great product as it not only comes with the cd but also a magazine with accompanies it well. It came promptly in a very oversized box but this did mean it was well protected.
on 7 December 2012
What can I say about Alice ....After almost 50 years in music industry he release a great album . Welcome 2 My Nightmare is a GREAT album . I love what baby wants with Keisha !!!!
on 24 April 2016
First class! What more can I say but Alice Cooper at his best still ! Share the Love!!
on 17 September 2011
I had to listen to WTMN (1975) prior to the release of W2MN so that I could get back into the nightmare, the album scared me when I first listened to it and it still does today after all those years. It has such a great line on it that you know the nightmare will return.
W2MN I think is long overdue for Alice. Listening to the return did not hit it off for me though. Although I get the line of the album I didn't feel as if Alice was drawing me back into Steven's world. Alice Cooper Goes to hell and Along Came a Spider had the Alice magic and Steven was very much in your mind throughout.
Bonus tracks I never understand (on any release), but Under your Bed should have been part of the main frame...it fits...not sure what that is all about. Also disappointed that the record company has released five or so versions of the album with different bonus tracks and additional fluff that comes with the packaging......no doubt to grab as much dosh from hard core fans........even though I am an Alice fan I won't be shedding out loads of wonga for an additional bonus track or trinket.The magazine that comes with this is good and gives a really good insight into Alice, the bands, the music etc. Oh and it comes with a small School's Out badge...careful you don't lose it!
I don't see much of this being in the live show, but Alice may prove me wrong.....the next time I go to see him perform!
on 7 April 2016