on 22 November 2015
bought as a gift but they love it!
on 29 August 2010
This is the worst guide book I've ever used.

We bought it in the airport before going as it was the only book they had in the shop. We only needed it for Rio, Ilha Grande, Paraty and Sao Paolo but we hardly used it at all. I've previously used Lonely Planet and Footprint guides and have always found them to be invaluable.

Our main issues with the book were:

1) The maps are too simple, few and far between (there's not even a map for Ilha Grande) and don't give much info.
2) The lists of accommodation and places to eat are too short and never seem to include the best places that we heard about through word of mouth.
3) Advice on how to get from one place to another is poor and no indication is given of how long the journeys should take. This could prove incredibly frustrating when planning your route.

During our time in Brazil, we have been planning our trip to Bolivia and Peru with a Footprint guide. The difference in ease of use and quality is staggering.

I noticed that our hostel in Rio had about three copies of this book (but not one copy of another brand of guide book) in their book exchange cabinet...now I know why!
on 31 January 2012
I buy one Rough Guide each time I travel to a different city and I absolutely love it! I used to buy American Express and Lonely Planet and I like better Rough Guide. The guide has wonderful descriptions of the sites/cities, timetable and prices for museums, fabulous tips/info and schemes of the main sites with precious notes. It's a fact that doesn't have many photos, but you won't need it! Once you're there you can have your own photos! And if you have doubts about the place, have a look on line! The descriptions and tips will compensate all of that! Also it's a light book compared with American Express
on 1 February 2011
Looks like a good guide at first sight (have it for 3 days now). Good maps and all, seems to focus 99,9% on the more dry, purely useful info, what seems to be missing so far is the cultural background stories, funny real life stories, and other travellers' experiences. basically the stuff you often see in lonely planet guides.
on 28 December 2010
I've been using rough guides for years, and usually I'm quite satisfied. But this book makes me wonder whether the writer actually vistited the places he describes. It often lacks vital practical information, is completely wrong and lacks insisghtfull advice and tips. Also the maps in it are generally useless. Furthermore the acommodation listings are useless if you are a budget traveller. Why mention 5 places of $100 - $300 per night, and ignore the 5 backpacker hostels in town, that also do private rooms? Maybe budget travellers are no longer the prime target group, but I don't see many of us being able to pay these kind of prices every night. In short: it is only good for context and deciding where to go. Get yourself another guide for practical info. and use hostelbookers to find budget accomodation.

Just some examples:
- 'brazil is suitable for budget travellers' No, its not. Brazil is often more expensive then western europe, and everyone we came across said the same..
- national parque serra dos orgolhas near petropolis:he mentions one entrance, but in fact that are three!
- he mentions a hostel in petropolis close to the busstation, but the part of town that it is supposed to be in is 20 minutes from the busstation. But we actually doubt whether the hostel exist, cause none of the local people know it. And it is not on the little map provided...
- quoted taxi prices in rio are 2 times more expensive then in reality
- excellent backpacker hostels in ilha grande, paraty, rio, foz iguassu are not listed
- he mentions one boat going to ilha grande once a day, in reality the boat goes several times and there is a faster catamaran that goes 3 times a day...
- lines ad midday at foz do iguassu are insane, why does he not advice to go early in the morning, or in the afternoon? There is even a built shelter for the que, suggesting it is a regular occurence...
on 5 April 2010
I thought that this book provided basic information about the city I visited, Salvador, and gave interesting background information on Brazil as a whole. I thought that it could have provided more information on cultural events such as where to hear clasical music or jazz and where the art galleries are.
on 2 September 2010
informative and honest every thing an independent traveller needs, recieved quickly with no hassle thanks
on 27 May 2015
despite old now, its still ok!!! vai por isso, its good!!
on 26 November 2016
Don't bother with this guide.
on 22 November 2015