Customer reviews

on 25 June 2017
Not at all what I was expecting and, though it looks interesting, it's not a quick read or easy to dip into. I was looking for some inspiration on using the senses in my writing - won't get it from this book.
on 1 August 2017
fine
on 30 May 2014
Excellent
on 21 October 2006
Ever heard a song or smelt a perfume that took you suddenly and unexpectedly back to another time and place? "What is most amazing is not how our senses span distance or cultures, but how they span time. Our senses connect us intimately with the past, connect us in ways that most of our cherished ideas never could."

I've just finished reading A Natural History of the Senses, a book published in 1990 by Diane Ackerman, a poet and essayist who has gone on to publish two more books following the theme of this one. When I began I thought it as beautifully written and as profound as astronomer Chet Raymo's The Soul of the Night. Ackerman's book, like Raymo's, kindled my sense of wonder on almost every page.

It is a book in which I sense two underlying assumptions. The first, following Thoreau's Walden, that we (all living matter) are very much a product of our environment, and a lot of our physiology has evolved to interpret that environment to our brain. Secondly, that we are now so mechanised, mere technoslaves, that we run the risk of losing that vital connection: once we ignore those signals from our senses about our environment we run the risk of being alienated from it, and alienation is the first step to mental unhealth. The experience of using our body in its normal, healthy state is in itself pleasurable. It is good to remember that life is not all stress and interpersonal pressure, not a shutting out of unpleasant 'facts' by our various addictions. Life is naturally a joyous state.

So let's learn about our senses, but not in any conventional sense of learning, for this is not merely a compendium of facts about the senses but an attempt to encourage us to use our senses, to get us in touch with our feelings (sorry about the pun, but you see how close a tie our brain makes between our emotions and our senses).

The book is divided into five sections, one for each sense, with an epilog which considers the synthesis of the senses and the existence of other senses such as are found in some animals. There are some good thoughts on how unique each species' view of the world is, how particular to our own species is our 'reality'. It is mind expanding to imagine the world as seen and experienced by a spider, for instance, or a cat. One is a little more readier to accept another human's differing viewpoint, for one thing.

My edition was a well produced one (Chapman) with handcut pages, marbled endpapers, well-matched colours in the binding and an expressive jacket picture. It felt, looked and smelt enticing. (I love the smell of books).

"...the latest findings in physiology suggest that the mind doesn't really dwell in the brain but travels the whole body on caravans of hormone and enzyme, busily making sense of the compound wonders we catalog as touch, taste, smell, hearing, vision." The brain we usually think of (the 'grey matter') is part of a system, the nervous system,which occupies our entire body, and which enables us to react successfully to our surroundings. Finding the balance between sensation and analysis of that sensation is hard for us because of our 'big' brain; it parallels what psychologists, following Jung, call the swing between extrovert and introvert tendencies, or what moralists see as the choice between intellect and hedonism. Have you ever seen a plant move a leaf or a blossom to face the sun? It is a graceful and beautiful action: for us finding such a balance between sense and survival is not easy, and other life forms have much to teach us.

We now study 'body language', unfortunately usually to find out how to make other people do what we want them to. But we respond to others' body language with our own, and much of what goes on goes on at a sensory level. Our much neglected sense of smell, for instance, tells us how others are feeling, gives guidance as to the dominance structure of a group and help us to find a sexual mate.

Ackerman's book is not a book on science, but a book that demonstrates what science is for.It is a book that I want to read again, soon. Much of the book's fascination comes from Ackerman's writing itself, the simple and direct style that reveals herself and her feelings as well as explains scientific findings and describes the natural world and human customs and history in poetic images and metaphors. Her lateral cast of mind can find the connections between humans and the world in which we live through mediators such as pheronomes, evolution, the behavior of Monarch butterflies, Cleopatra and Egyptian perfumes, the colour range of insects, the deer who come to her garden, the space shuttle and a thousand other fascinating examples.

Ackerman has done something I admire very much - synthesised culture, science, history and poetry to express a perception of human beings and their worlds. For those who've read this far, I've included my own musings to show just what kind of a book this is. If you read it, be prepared to have insights too. Also recommended is Isabel Allende's Aphrodite and those food films, Like Water for Chocolate and Eat, Drink, Man, Woman.
HALL OF FAMEon 11 September 2004
Ackerman's florid style captures the reader from the first page. Her "sense-luscious" description of the world seizes your imagination, compelling you to learn what she means. What she means is then paraded before you as a wealth of information clothed in descriptive finery [see how catching it can be?!]. It turns out that the more imagination you possess, the more attuned to the world you can be. If that sounds vague, it's because it is - and it sets the tone for this book. Ackerman has a great store of metaphor and illustration to draw upon, and little is left out. Her prose leaves the reader breathless with its powerful, flowery, imagery. Add the semblance of scientific references as a decor and you seem to have a book of meaningful insights. What you really have is a sense of exhaustion.
The book's organisation is readily assumed. The five senses are marched by, each bearing samplings of how they work in humans and the other animals. She declares that nothing is "more memorable than a smell", although it's humanity's weakest sense. She reminds us that we are predators because our eyes are in front, granting us binocular vision, instead of at the side like prey species needing to keep watch. Touch evokes a wealth of sketchy assertions about "caring", especially for babies. The babies aren't just human, giving that aspect of life a universality reaching beyond generations of teachings. In dealing with taste, she portrays the Roman elite, with its extravagant behaviour as representing all society. Hearing, of course, raises the "tree falling in the forest" question, to which Ackerman responds with a firm "No", since our brain failed to interpret the quivering air thus displaced. Helen Keller's pronouncements are given much attention, while Beethoven is granted two partial comments, which turn out to be Deryck Cooke's assessment.
Reading Ackerman is rather like taking the ingredients of a cake and consuming them without mixing or baking. There's a feeling of satiated fullness afterward, but the plethora of different flavours isn't anything as pleasing as a finished cake would have been. There's much information here, but Ackerman's style is such that you feel compelled to rush through it to see what new metaphors or opulent phrases will arise. She decribes numerous studies and research, but we never learn who did them, when or under what circumstances. Her reading list only turns out to be more of the same type of presentation, although clearly none of her "references" is up to her prose quality. But then, none of them are poets. A fun read, and a worthy source to dazzle cocktail party colleagues. Just make certain none of the other guests knows any physiology. [stephen a. haines - Ottawa, Canada]
on 11 August 2013
A friend recommended "A Natural History of the Senses" to our book group. It wasn't easy getting hold of a copy but I'm glad I made the effort. The consists of a collection of essays relating to our various senses. Don't try to read it all in one go - dip in occasionally.
on 29 March 2001
Our senses define the edges of consciousness. How we delight our senses varies greatly from culture to culture, yet the ways in which we use our senses is exactly the same for all of us!
"We like to think that we are finely evolved creatures, in suit-and-tie or pantyhose-and-chemise, who live many millennia & mental detours away from the cave, but that's not something our bodies are convinced of."
Ah! What a bouquet is this book. Diane Ackerman has plucked for our consideration & entertainment a posey of senses: smell - touch - taste - hearing - vision - synesthesia. Sections that delight: Of Violets and Neurons; The Inner Climate; Adventures in the Touch Dome; Food and Sex; The Bloom of a Taste Bud; The Hearing Heart; Cathedrals in Sound; How To Watch The Sky; Watching a Night Launch of the Space Shuttle; Courting The Muse.
Her writing is a tapestry rich in textures & tastes, evoking nothing less than a feast for our mind, in & of itself a sensory organ or perhaps Grand Central Station to which all stimuli arrive.
My son gave me this treasure one Winter Solstice & that is the time of year I usually take it down & embark upon another cruise, refreshing my palate. As heady as the scent of elderberries in bloom; the taste of radishes fresh from the earth & the sound of grouse in a spring forest.
on 23 February 2017
The first part of this book, around smell, is particularly vivid and enchanting. The author has a beautiful prose style. I found the second section a little less interesting, but it was always worth reading for the wonderful way Diane Ackerman uses description and puts together original metaphors in her writing.
on 8 October 2013
As a writer sometimes I look for research books in off the wall places. This was one of those gems you find every now and then. Fascinating and useful. Very good addition to my research library
on 20 August 2013
Recomended to me by a ' mystery woman ' , A different way of looking at the topic ! Thank you ' mystery woman '.