Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 February 2015
'Flowers For Algernon' is the story of Charlie Gordon, a thirty four year old man who works in a bakery. Charlie has a lower IQ than most people and is treated differently. Charlie is given the opportunity to be part of her experiment, a experiment to have a higher IQ, something that Charlie strives for, to be smarter, to be accepted. Charlie's journey begins with him meeting a mouse called 'Algernon', who is already a participant in the experiment and how Charlie and Algernon learn to live in a world that has changed for both of them.

I first read 'Flowers For Algernon' after my youngest brother told me about it, at the time he was reading it at school and he enjoyed it.

'Flowers For Algernon' is a great story, the story of Charlie and the changes he goes through spoke to me. Charlie (for me) is one of the memorable characters of literature, he's likeable, kind, determined, and that was before his life changing experiment, after the operation Charlie does change, he becomes aware, confident, learning new subjects and skills but I felt the essence of who Charlie was, was lost. Charlie also learns more about his past and its heart breaking to read, he was so misunderstood and so easily forgotten by his own family, he deserved better.

Charlie's plight shows how difficult it can be living in a world where you are an individual who may or not may be accepted, someone to be laughed at, I felt bad for Charlie as he realised the nature of his relationships with people he called friends but did not treat him like one.

'Flowers For Algernon' explores different subjects and it is a interesting read, you want Charlie to be happy and to find the answers he deserves. The ending will stay with you.
on 20 April 2017
This was an excellent read. It is one of the most moving novels I have ever read. It's not so much a sci-fi novel as a contemporary story with a dash of sci-fi. It is hard not feel sorry for Charlie and the way he was treated. The themes, especially the way people with learning disabilities are treated by society at large, are as relevant today as they were when the book was originally written. I thoroughly recommend this book.
on 2 March 2017
My favourite book of all time. I will not spoil the story but will just say it is a fantastic read. Incredibly clever in narrative and writing style. Will be kept on my bookshelf always to read time and time again.
on 4 September 2017
When I first read this book it stopped me in my tracks, and re-reading it heaven knows how many years later nothing has changed. I gave it to my daughter, who is currently completing a doctorate, and she loved it too, finding it very thought-provoking. If you are interested in the basic question: "How would my life change if I suddenly became much more intelligent?" or even "what are the consequences, foreseen and unforeseen, of scientific experiments on human guinea--pigs?" then this is for you. The book is not complicated, it is undoubtedly dated too, but the basic premise will leave you thinking about it for hours and hours afterwards. I've thought about it for years. One of the few books that really moved me to weep - and I am extremely hard-hearted and cynical!!
I find it akin to some of Philip K Dick's best writing, when he was still in good health, though the writing style is simpler and clearer.
on 8 May 2017
Wonderful, amazing, superb etc etc. I'm not going to spoil it for you, if you want that I suggest you read the other reviews, I'll just say buy it, you won't regret it.
on 13 December 2016
Im not an avid reader at all, I like to dabble in and out of reading spells.

I cant remember who or why this was recommended to me but I really really enjoyed it. Ive read it once and cant wait to pick it up again in a few years. Its a fairly simple read, in that it isnt the longest book, but it certainly has a strong emotional drive. Has a very unusual start to the book and took me more than a few minutes to get used to the writing style - but it is justified in its difficulty to read and gives plenty opportunity to empathise with the protagonist as his journey begins.

Recommended
on 29 November 2015
The best sci-fi holds a mirror to what we might tritely call "human truths", distorting reality just enough to cast light on what is hidden. In the case of FFA this revelation hinged around how the changes in the mental abillities of the protagonist influenced his relationships around him, with his co-workers and romantically. The first person narreative and reflected the changing life of the protagonist with changes both in terms of spelling, grammar and vocabulary and in the nuance and complexity of his observations. What came out was both philosophically interesting and heart-rending. I haven never read a better novel and however unlikely the premise of a simple mind-boost procedure are the ramifications on the character's life were explored intricately and credibly. Sci-fi isn't just for geeks, this book is on teaching syllabuses in american schools (displacing the likes of John Steinbeck perhaps?!) and should survive the test of time and be regarded as a classic.
on 11 March 2016
This was recommend by my brother as he really knows a great science fiction story, and this is truly one of the best ever written. Mr. Keyes writing is nothing short of genius, pardon the pun. Thrilling, enjoyable and memorizing throughout. Highest of recommendation possible is not enough accolade for a story of this magnitude, a true work of art. You will love this book.
on 1 January 2017
Where do I start? I'm a complete and utter book worm and this is probably right at the top of my list of favourites. A compelling story filled with such emotion that I simply couldn't put it down. I'm usually busy as hell and I still found time to finish it in a couple of days. A genuine masterpiece. If you haven't read it, you should buy it now. I've even bought copies for friends and family - that's how much of a fundamental read this is.
on 9 September 2017
This book was recommended to me by a colleague. I don't usually read sf but thought I'd give it a try. I'm a sporadic reader and frequently start but do not finish books. On the plus side I read the whole book and liked the concept but downside - it is quite dated and lacks depth. It quickly became clear that relationships which Charlie described early on would be revisited, reanalysed and re-evaluated later. No real surprises then but enjoyable nonetheless.