on 13 March 2016
Darian is a lonely boy, orphaned, and feeling misplaced as apprentice to the Wizard Justyn.
This is a l Valdemaran book, which means a really good read, with really interesting and inventive charachters, with feelings.
Love these stories.
on 21 August 2017
Good addition to the series
on 9 April 2001
Drawing on ideas from past Valdemaar stories, this book throws you into the life of a young orphaned boy who's village is attacked by barbarians. You are introduced to a large variety of new characters and can't help but feel for them throughout the story. Mercedes Lackey manages to build a wonderful backdrop in your mind, with images so vivid you could nearly be there.
I read the book in 2 days...couldn't put it down.
This book is the first of another one of Mercedes Lackey's sets, and is followed by Owlsight and Owlknight which take you further into the story and are also defintately worth reading
on 15 March 2016
While I do like this series of books I don't think that they are amazing. I find the characters fun and simple. The world is easy to image and the plots are good but they are not the kind of books that grab me and make me have to turn yet another page to the detriment of all else. They are a light hearted not to serious a series to read between those books that take it out of you to read.

This book focus' on Darian, an orphan that is being raised by a village that seems to begrudge his very existence. It deals with the grief of losing his parents, his struggle to fit in, learn the magic that he has been gifted with. All seems to be a dead end for Darian until an attack on his village throws him into the path of the scary Hawk brothers and all changes for Darian.

This is by no means the first trilogy set in the land of Valdermere, but it is the first ones that I read and therefore the ones that I have a soft spot for.

I would recommend this series to anyone that wants a break some from epic fantasy, and would like something more simple to get into for a while.
on 8 November 2012
This book is,like all in the Valdemar series, totally engrossing it rounds off the earlier tales, tying up loose ends, while leaving room for more in the future -- I can't wait to get to the next (e)book. Darian is a well rounded character, who is all too human in his faults, and Kelvren brings us up to date on the Gryphon 'family'thnx :)
on 15 August 2008
Lovely fluffy wish-fulfilment fantasy ideal for a rainy afternoon, I wish I'd been able to read this when I was 15 as its sweet and cute now but would have enchanted me then - orphan Darian finds there's more to the world than his isolated village and tired old mage when an invading army sends him fleeing into the hands of the Hawkbrothers and their bondbirds, and a gryphon. The sequels expand nicely on the theme as Darian grows into his powers, but this is my favourite of the three. There's enough backstory and extra info that you don't need to know anything about the Valdemar world to read this, just jump right in.
on 31 May 2014
I read the last two books in this series before this one, and I am glad I did. I have had to skip pages of Justyn and Darian musing to themselves, it became very tedious very quickly. The next books are a great improvement. All in all though, a very enjoyable series.
on 21 November 2006
i like this book as it explores the hawkbrothers well, and gives an insight into what life is like for people who arn't hearlds.

still the caricters could do woth a bit more definition, owlsight and owlknight are better!
on 27 February 2013
This book has good character descriptions and a good storyline. I feel I get to follow the main characters as they develope. This is a great book to read while relaxing or traveling.
on 18 January 2016
Another good book from my favourite fantasy author.Had it in paper back and read it over and over till it fell to bits, great to get it on my kindle.