on 23 November 2004
I enjoyed this book very much. At first, I wondered if I'd like it, but after a bit, I just couldn't put it down. Tenoctris is a bit of a weak character for a while, and she is very down on herself, but when you get further into the book, you begin to realize that maybe she's more powerful than she thinks she is.
I do have to say this is not as well written as George RR Martin's Fire and Ice books, it is an excellent one which I definitely would recommend to other fantasy enthusiasts.
on 19 December 1998
What struck me the most about this excellent fantasy was that there were five main characters, three of them female, and all of them interesting, believeable, and growing and learning in the course of the story. We begin with a group of four friends in a smalltown backwater, and in the course of the book they, and one young aristocrat who joins them, learn about their powers and their true identities. Non-stop excitement, believeable setting, fascinating story. Recommended!
on 3 September 1999
It could be epic, though it needs a little work. There aren't too many books out there, though, that are as engaging and entertaining as King of the Isles. Interesting main characters, tight plot, detailed setting, fast pace. I couldn't put it down and I'm now reading Queen of Demons. I just hope the Robert Jordan syndrome doesn't affect Drake and we get 10 more books with nothing resolved. He is published by Tor, afterall.
on 1 January 1998
While not as rich and engrossing as other fantasy worlds, David Eddings has done an impressive job creating and filling something entirely new. The story does start slowly, and at times I had to force myself to keep turning the pages, but eventually I found myself totally absorbed by the material and characters. Lord of the Isles is a good read. Not great, but eventually worth the time. I'm looking forward to the sequel.
on 18 September 1998
Like a previous reviewer, I would also compare Lord of the Isles to Robert Jordan's books. My comparison would be much reversed, though - like Wheel of Time, plots fall upon plots fall upon plots as the characters go their separate ways, but I find David Drake's writing style much more engaging and his characters more fully rounded (though the men all do seem to be Very Strong).
on 11 November 1997
I have to admit that I was pretty disappointed with Lord Of The Isles. It took a long time to get anywhere and it seemed very light on the details. It felt like reading a summary of another book with most of the details left out. The author seems to jump around alot and never really fleshed out the current scene before leaving it. I would recommend skipping this one.
on 27 December 1998
The characters are well thought out. I enjoyed seeing how they coped with different situations. I hope that there is a second installment which would provide as much entertainment as this book did. Because it jumped from chapter to chapter, I wanted to read on to put it all together. I did enjoy this book, and I hope you do too.
on 27 September 1997
This book shows off Drake's talent for creating extremely detailed, interesting worlds. The characters are very believable, no heroes for the sake of being a hero here. Only drawback would be low excitement level, it is more like Drake is telling us about a historical event than telling us a story.
on 16 August 1998
While I thought that the book had great potential I felt that it did not materialize. While the beginning started off quite good, the book went down from there, it seemed to be a lot of pages with no action, too much skipping around and didn't seem to be going anywhere.
on 3 September 1998
This book gains momentum as it progresses. I am amazed by Drakes command of literary elements, as well as his willingness to add any element of fantasy he can imagine. Fun, fast, and thoughtful; there are few books I have read which rate higher.