Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 16 December 2014
Caliban is the first of a spin off trilogy to Issac Asimov's robot series so though you could read them as a stand alone set I advise you read the others first as much of the background history will be a lot clearer. So ideally you should read these first:

1 -Caves of Steel
2 -The Naked Sun
3 -The Robots of Dawn
4 -Robots and Empire

Despite having Asimov's name on the cover this book was actually written by a different sci-fi author, Roger Macbride Allen, and what a fantastic job he does. Not only does this feel exactly like an Asimov robot book but Allen also throws in unique ideas that actually challenge the legendary three laws of robotics resulting in a clever and gripping novel.

The book is set on one of the 50 spacer worlds Inferno where a robot powers up over an unconscious woman in a pool of blood. His name is Caliban and he is different from other robots, he leaves the lab to discover where he is, who he is, to learn. Sherrif Kresh is called in to investigate the attack, Dr. Leving, the victim is suffering from amnesia due to the head blow and all Kresh knows is there is a possibility, though he thinks it's impossible, that a robot did it and he must find Caliban.

Though a detective novel, Caliban explores aspects of human nature and how technology effects it much like previous books in the robot series. There are a variety of characters with different viewpoints and backgrounds including Caliban himself and to be honest I found it hard to put the book down once I started reading it.

I was usure about reading it as I only found out about the series after I finished Asimov's robot series by pure chance but it continues on flawlessly. Sadly I think this is one of those books that's genuinely great but few people will have heard of. I had to buy some old paperbacks as it isn't, and probably never will be on the kindle.

I highly recommended it though, onto the next book in the series, Isaac Asimov's "Inferno"

+ Allen writes in an Asmovian style perfectly while exploring new ideas.
+ Interesting characters and plot.
+ Excellent pace.
+ Technology and humanity's use of it is an interesting sub theme.
Despite (the) description, this book is not about a robot with revised laws. The robot in question has NO laws, and no knowledge of what they are supposed to be. On the run from police, robot-breakers and the organisation who built him, suspected of a murder he has no knowledge of, this robot makes for a gripping read.
on 25 August 2000
The author expands Asimov's original robotics concepts with a detective story reminiscent of the masters Elijah Bailey tales. Although interesting in content I couldn't help comparing the writers style and ability to Asimov and felt that he came up short with perhaps only 75% of Asimov quality. I'm glad I read the book simply so that I could get some more immersion in Asimov's universe, but ultimately a little dissappointing.
on 16 January 2005
Having read many an Asimov book, I decided to read this to see if I would like it or not - I couldn't put it down!
Asimov's Caliban was brought to life for me, and I rooted for him in his flight from those who would destroy him - what a chase!
The whole detective style of the story kept me gripped from the first page, from Caliban's first awareness, right through his search for the purpose of his existence. This is definately a book to read and ponder over, & the author is to be congratulated for keeping to Asimov's visions.
on 22 March 2014
I enjoyed this robot story. Caliban has a personality, despite being a "robot". This is wonderfully innovative. Asimov was a master at writing stories about robots; nobody even came close.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 February 2015
This was for my fiance for his birthday - he loves it, and it's another added to his Asimov collection!
on 10 November 1998
I enjoyed this book like it was a true asimov. It is a great addition to the late masters...masterpieces.