on 20 October 2004
This is the best little book available for the everyday meal planner.It is the only one that is regularly used out of my many vegetarian cookery books.
on 9 November 2000
This book, like a number of others of its type does not use photo imagery but brief descriptions and tips followed by basic instructions. It is the sort of recipe book where you will feel free to adapt and modify recipes. Definitely the type of cook book that gets most use in our house.
VINE VOICEon 24 June 2006
This is a bit of an 80's style book in that it is mostly recipes with a select collection of photographs in the middle....but don't let that put you off! Especially as this also means that it's priced as a paperback not a lavishly illustrated coffee table book.

This is my vegetarian bible.

I have had a copy since it was published in 1992, then loaned my copy out and had to buy a replacement. Will soon have to get another as this is suffering from overuse!

There are soups, starters, salads and savouries, plus a large section on desserts, cakes and biscuits.

Imagine your favourite vegetarian restaurant in your own house!

Don't miss Cranks nut roast and the mushroom pate, though there are many others I could recommend.

I have several Cranks recipe books, but this is the opne I use most often.
on 19 December 1998
Don't be put off by Cranks' reputation as a brown rice and lentil institution! This recipe book has nutritious, diverse and - importantly - easy recipes. The ingredients are easy to come by and the meals are so nice even meat eaters will like them!
on 7 September 2008
I have just ordered a replacement copy of this book. I have had my original copy since it first came out in the 1980's,but it is so worn out due to use. I have made most of the soup recipes over and over. The tomato soup recipe is the simplest ever - not having to skin the tomatoes - it all goes in and what with hand blenders that can go straight into the pot, soups are soon ready, taste so fresh and nicer than the tin variety. This book is not just about soups though, there are starters, main courses, cakes, puddings/desserts etc. I am not a vegetarian, but think every keen cook would benefit from having a copy of this book.
on 31 January 2016
I find this book limited, it is not in depth with only a few recipes for every section but it does cover a broad spectrum such as breads, pastry, deserts & drinks. I am not sure why so many recipes rely on yeast extract I think there are better alternatives to help the basics shine and I would not have thought it was either healthy or wholesome.

I did not want or expected glossy pictures so ok on that score, a lot of the pages are given (50 out of 250) to 'story so far', 'bibliography' and 'culinary know how' in the last section it describes how to 'dice veg' and other similar basics the only thing it does not give any info on is how to 'wash the pots'; quite insulting really.

It is ok but there are far better books out there, so far no quite matches Gail Duffs 'vegetarian cook book' from the late 70's she has a real understanding of what she is doing and should inspire you to develop your own menu; this book is disappointing.
on 8 January 2009
I originally bought this book over 15 years ago and it's been a regular staple ever since through years of vegetarianism and also after we started to eat meat again (shame on us!!). It's now so well worn, all the pages are falling out. I've scribbled on them, counting calories, making notes and recommendations, etc. In other words, it's been used many, many, many times.

Okay, so some of the recipes are a bit unusual (never quite got the hang of millet or bread without yeast...) but others are brilliant (Homity Pies, and Leek and Cheese Flan, for example) especially the soups, puddings and biscuits. Also, most of the recipes are VERY cheap to make, plus easily adaptable. And I always used their pastry recipe.

If you have one staple cook book in your kitchen, make sure it's this one!
on 26 May 2013
This was the first vegetarian cookbook I ever purchased. I bought this to replace one that got lost. If you want the vegetarian equivalent of nouvelle cuisine, then don't bother with this one. But if you want good, wholesome veggie food that will satisy both your taste buds and your appetite, you can't go wrong with this one.
on 14 January 2009
I too have used this cook book so much it is falling apart. I have been making the Lentil and Tomato soup for 20 years, it's yummy, simple and so cheap. There are so many recipes which I continue to use despite now having a huge collection of cookbooks. Some other favourites are the Fruit Cake with eggs (vegan), you just chuck everything in and cook, their Muesli and the Orange and Banana Trifle is the best I have ever tasted.
on 18 February 2010
I got the original Cranks book when it came out and it is a great wholefooders' bible. I need to take one abroad now so I'll leave the thumbed and stained hardback in the UK to greet me when I return in the Autumn, and the paperback will be my trusty companion throughout the spring and summer. For serious wholefooders. Yum! Try the real Homity Pie and use up your Christmas mincemeat with Belgian Cake.