Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 January 2017
Having downsized recently and still having boxes of unused contents. I thought I had better do something. I have already donated to some charity shops. I buy most of my needs on line so bought this book to see if I could recover some cash. It is an excellent idiot's guide, leading simply through the sales process.
on 13 May 2017
IMHO Perfect for a new eBay seller
on 22 May 2017
Reasonably better service by Amazon
on 23 March 2017
on 18 March 2017
waste of money
on 18 February 2008
Not a bad start for those who are new to ebay. However, for the more experienced seller it's very frustrating. There are occasional hints as to potentially very good ideas, but the answer is just to look them up on Google! Dan, you've had my money and I expect better. As he is still involved with eBay he is unable or unwilling to criticise - eBay isn't perfect, but nothing here is anything but praise. Similarly, his references to Paypal are gushing in the extreme - no hints as to how to avoid getting scammed by the massive holes in paypal's policies, no warnings about fees, payment delays, account suspension etc. The definitive eBay book is yet to be written - it may help if Dan Wilson becomes truly independent and puts his inside knowledge to good use.
55 Comments| 83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 March 2015
Efficient, on time service. Very pleased, Patty Lafferty
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 February 2008
I have been selling on ebay for a few years, only in small quantities and as a hobby, but I thought I knew quite a lot. Having read this book I realised I knew nothing. For example simple things such as whether your item title will show up in a buyers search, is it misspelt, have you left out vital information. Stuff that's really obvious when you think about it, but I hadn't been. It's also meant that I have profited from other's mistakes, buying items that have been badly marketed for a much cheaper price! My sales have definitely improved and I've streamlined how I work. The one thing he doesn't tell me, is where I can find cheap stock!
Since reading Dan's book I've spent a lot more time looking around ebay, getting ideas on what works, checking out what's selling well and considering how I might open a shop when I have more time.
on 21 December 2007
Dan Wilson was a pioneer in the UK eBay team. Here he shares his experience.

For people like me who are bewildered by eBay's website and options, but can read prose easily, this is a great starter. There are inspiring stories from successful eBayers, and stories that let you know what to watch out for. There's also a short history of the company.

There are no pictures, so if you're more a visual person, try a "for dummies" book (Marsha Collier has some great ones, though she's veeery American).

Sadly, the beyond eBay is not really consistent with the rest of the book. For some reason some poor websites are recommended, while some obvious ones are ignored. Also, the author recommends a video service that he doesn't appear to use himself.

However, the content on eBay itself is top notch, and presented in a digestable format with good advice and interesting stories. A great introduction to eBay for the prose-reader.
on 2 February 2008
I bought Dan Wilson's book before I even set up as seller on eBay and have not put it down since. I am now a successful gold level powerseller, selling over 300 items a month and I never bore of the book, I learn something new every time I pick it up. I don't think my shop would have ever got of the ground had I not had the book to refer to - definitely the best and most useful eBay book I read yet (trust me I have a few on the shelf).
From a beginner to established ebayer this book has something for everyone.
11 Comment| 107 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse