on 13 April 2017
Extremely well-written and engaging. I bought the book because we are shortly going on holiday to the Puglia and staying quite near Andrano. "Some local colour (this is a non-fiction book), a few tips and a love story to boot. What could be better?" Well ─ it's not quite like that. Daniela, the heroine, must indeed be a stunner because the greater part of this book contrasts Italian ways with Anglo-Saxon equivalents. Whether the subject is driving manners, nightmarish bureaucracy, love of animals ─ you name it, Chris has a hard time persuading himself that there are enough upsides to the Italian way of life to compensate for the general awfulness.
And that is why I have only given this book 4 stars ─ to a considerable extent it has made me fearful of what we may encounter. It's an excellent book but I wish I hadn't read it before we went; and I shall certainly not show it to my wife till afterwards!
on 31 March 2013
This is a great little book. There seem to be hundreds of books published about people moving to a foreign country, and recounting their experiences in a 'aren't foreign countries funny' way. Some are amusing, some are interesting, many are boring and repetitive. This one is one of the best I have read.
This is explained mainly by the fact that the author goes to Italy to follow a girl he hardly knows, so not only is he discovering a new country, he is also discovering a new partner. This adds much the the story, and makes it more interesting - as much for him, I suspect, as for us.
I cannot speak for the accuracy of his portrayal of southern Italy - there seems to be some disagreement amongst reviewers here - but it does make for a good read.
on 2 August 2017
I enjoyed this book. Touching descriptions of Daniels's dad. First time I had read about the heel of Italy and would quite like to visit, though it has put me off Milan!,
on 28 August 2017
This well-written book evokes images of Southern Italy, and Apulia/Puglia specifically, It is written in such a delightful way. Lovely read.
on 8 June 2017
Excellent book. Southern Italy as is. Wonderful pictures in the mind, both of the country, and the characters.
on 25 August 2014
This is an exceptionally well written book; very amusing and interesting. It is about the author's love for a beautiful Italian woman and his subsequent move to southern Italy. All his trials and tribulations are covered in laugh-out-loud fashion. I enjoyed this book so much I have recommended it to all my Italophile friends and even read it twice myself.
on 13 September 2017
An interesting and insightful look at life in Southern Italy with a love story thrown in for good measure.
on 14 July 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed this book - and will read it again very soon. It is well written and confirmed many of my thoughts about the Italians - having spent interesting and very enjoyable holidays there. Loved it!
on 28 July 2017
A true reflection on what we (stranieri) have to deal with when living and breathing "la dolce vita"
Fatti bravi Arrisons
on 2 August 2017
Very funny, well written, with nice descriptions of the area.