on 20 July 2017
good
on 20 March 2009
To make sense of the book you really have to practically follow the steps outlined but when the suggested links in chapter one don't work that isn't a good sign. Using the tools found at those links is a key part of the process the book outlines. This led to me using google to see if I could find other tools that did the same type of thing, which led to me questioning whether his method was best, and using google to find out more, which I was doing before I bought the book...

One of the main reasons I bought this book was because it gives free access to a forum where you can see a continually updated list of tools and the raise issues for the author to look at. I presume the links in the book did work once but the forum has not got updates for those links. I also discovered on the forum that a number of other readers had similar concerns.

Maybe I've just been unlucky but one of the reasons I bought this book was on the basis of postive reviews and I have to say my experience has not been positive.
33 Comments| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 July 2009
After reading the reviews I excitedly brought this book and joined the forum (thank god it was free or I would have been very upset). As a previous reviewer said, the links don't work or are very very out of date. If anyone is intersted in keyword research this book will adequately explain it, but that's about it.

The 5 star reviews like the links in this book are terribly out of date. Save your money as some of the terms in this book you can easily found if you look them up on the internet yourself with more relevent and up to date information (as SEO is very fast moving). In my experience the forum was deserted and after a few weeks I was very very disappointed and cancelled my free supbscription.

I wish I could say something positive about this book but, here's hoping the next edition is more up to date than this edition.
VINE VOICEon 21 June 2008
Search Engine Optimisation has acquired a status which might be regarded similar to that of the magic circle:
It's secretive - only those in the circle really know the tricks
There's an element of magic - SEOs do things we don't understand
It's competitive - we all want to get to the top
It's closed - those within the circle do not disclose all the tricks
They even categorise their tricks as good and bad with the terms "white hat" and "black hat"

Well, in this excellent new book David Viney has let us all into the circle, and what we learn is that it's not magic!

However, I should like to follow that statement by immediately saying that it is plainly not easy either. Also, by the very nature of the fierce competition for the top spots, it will always be competitive, and you will always have to work at it.

What this particular magician sets out for us all here is a structure and a method which we might follow to improve our own success.

The author uses the analogy of cookery; there are ingredients, recipes to follow - and I would add, a great deal of time needed to be spent in the kitchen!!

You will be surprised to learn the breadth of things that you will need to do to be in with a competitive chance. The book covers the many factors that contribute to your ultimate success. I was surprised at just how many areas contribute to a site becoming successful, in 240 pages David Viney covers a lot of ground.

The title is so clever; Step 1 in David's plan focuses on finding the "phrases that pay", and sure enough, the title of his book is of course just one such example - nicely wraps-up in a phrase what the book is all about AND is what we are all searching for!

As other reviewers have written here, the book strikes an excellent balance in readability, suitable for reading and use by other professional SEOs and equally works very well for the novice.

The seven step procedure does categorise the areas of focus well, and does give a guide to chronology, but it's not his intention that you should remain in a step until you have done everything you possibly can, more that you need to do a wide number of things, and that over the longer period you will need to track back and forth through the steps and re-visit activities.

The book does a great job of illustrating the size of the market, the strength and importance of Google in that market, and the potential prizes available to the top of page one winners.

"Having your site in the top 10 is like having your store right on Main Street or near the entrance of the largest shopping mall in human history. Being outside the top 20 is like having a corner store on the very outskirts of town."

You should buy and read this book before building your website, probably even before naming you business. The tips within it on subjects such as targetting a niche, phrases that pay, finding and targeting keywords, domain names, hosting locations, etc. are all key considerations in the choices you should make in the very early days.

But there's no need to worry if you are already well into the life of your business and your website, there is plenty within this book for all to heed and follow.

I would strongly recommend the book to anybody interested in getting their website "to the top on Google", you will learn a great deal, and will be able to take action based upon the guidance within the book.

However, go into this exercise with the awareness that it is a long game. You may read the book in just a few hours, but you will need to work persistently at your website's optimisation continuously to reach the top and stay there .........The prizes are Great. It is fiercely competitive. The web is continuously evolving. Your competitors will read this book too.

This is probably the best book on this subject that you can buy.
Take the first step, buy and read the book.
Then keep it next to your computer, keep dipping into it, follow its recommendations.
Then, be prepared to buy an updated version or follow-up next year, with more and new recommendations for you to implement!
on 7 April 2010
I have been in the SEO industry for a number of years (when i started there were no books so it was all trial and error).

This book is as simple as it can be using real world examples and taking you through step by step showing additional reading and tools (some of which are old but lets face it most SEO techniques are the same as they were 10 years ago! not sure what some people want for £10 !).

Having read (and bought) a stack of SEO books i rate this one of the highest and have recommended it to many people and ALL have said it helped them a great deal.

If your an expert forget it as you will already know the contents but if your new to SEO and am not terribly computer literate this book will take you through it all in baby-steps.

Stop reading the reviews and BUY IT :)

Chris
on 16 June 2008
I want to keep this short and sweet as copywriting is not my strong point. If you are looking for a book that spells out the key issues on SEO in an order that actually makes logical sense - then this is the book for you. Rather than a book full of information (although it is very informative) - its best used a step-by-step tool to any SEO project. I can understand why one of the reviewers read it twice.

I had purchased SEO for Dummies but that was really a 'bits n pieces' kind of book and left me unguided. This book follows a chronological path and makes you stick to it.

I shall be using it on every SEO project from now on.

5/5
on 9 January 2009
I've been in the internet industry for a long time and have worked for eBay, Yahoo, and of course the wonderful Amazon, so I've done my time with agencies and employed various SEO people myself, but I wish I'd read this book earlier.

'Get to the top of Google' provides an exceptionally comprehensive review of all of the basics, plus a load of stuff I'd never even thought about and in a no nonsense way that makes it easy for the non-technically minded to follow.

Like a number of the reviewers here, I've also been through quite a few of the books out there and without a doubt this one is the winner. Save your money on the others for your SEO costs (paid and natural).

Even if you are a coder, the suggestions here are very good reminders of what you should think about every day. I'm constantly surprised at the number of projects I've had returned that functionally do what I've specified, but simply havent been optimized!!! I can only presume that ignorance is the reason, in which case this book is the answer.

As I embark on a business of my own, I've laid out my design principles in line with the '7 step process'. I'll consider it part of the day to day operations and have already set up diary dates to review the results.
on 3 May 2011
As an SEO beginner, who just started working for one month, I learned quite a lot from this book. In fact, it's more like a how-to handbook, which you can learn step by step to initiate SEO campaign for your website. And you are able to receive some instant benefit when following its instruction.

However, this book was published in 2008. Let's say since many people have done the instructions, the competition is fierce, and it may require updated method.

Anyway, the book gives a detailed introduction of the main principles of doing SEO, which is really helpful for beginners.
on 8 April 2008
A very easy-to read guide to search engine optimization. I particularly liked the case study which is used in the book, to show you how do apply the recommendations to a real site. In places, the concepts can be quite complex, so the case study was really helpful.

Don't waste your time with other books (I, have read them all), my business is now flying since finding this one.

real practical help, and a great read.
on 7 January 2011
Dont buy this book, this is my advice.
"Get to the top on google" is the worst book I have bought about this subject.
I wish I could give 0 stars.