Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 28 September 2013
A simple, no nonsense summary of the writers many enjoyable(!) day trips.
I'm sure that many of us have been in the same position - well done Gareth for getting your thoughts down in such a well written and hilarious manner.
on 29 August 2013
Its not a great read if I am honest, got very bored and ended up skimming through half of the book. There are better reads out there IMHO.
on 7 November 2015
Fab!
VINE VOICEon 12 March 2012
As soon as you see the cover, you know you're in for a treat. And then you turn to the introduction and the first sentence alone should put you in the frame for what's about to come.

By far, this is the funniest of all the "humour section" books i've read, to date. Nothing i can say will justify the smooth, easy lull into the pit of despair and hilarity this book will place you in, within minutes of reading it. The fact that nearly everyone should recognise at least a few of these places is one great selling point. But the main raison d'etre for shelling out for it, is the rhetorical style; there is no questioning some of the arguements put forward. As a result, you have no choice but to laugh , or at the very least giggle yourself into a stupor, when you read the entries. The author(s) are even kind enough to set the scene for you, in case you really have no idea where or why some of these "days out" exist.

From dinosaur museums that are the equivalent of a cheap living room set up for kids, to a swathe of other well known landmarks, nothing is off limits. Buy it, laugh your head off, and be warned; you'll never see a day out in the UK, the same way ever again.
on 16 October 2011
Both my husband and I, and our nephew, and my aged aunt, laughed out loud when reading this book. It is an ideal present for anyone who likes a good laugh. Take to a dinner party instead of flowers. It is also a useful guide when planning a day out either with or without oversees visitors. Some places sound so awful you absolutely have to see them - I'm dying to visit the creationist museum. My only criticism is the authors' assertion that Nessie doesn't exist.
on 21 October 2011
I got this for my brother and he really loved it. I got to dip in and read a few of the reviews too, and there were definitely a number of laugh-out-loud lines in just that selection, so on that basis I assume the rest is pretty funny too! I'd recommend this for birthdays and Christmas in particular - and probably not just for boys, either, I think this is a unisex present - and it's a very reasonable price too, so I think I know what I'll be getting all my friends for Christmas!
on 22 September 2011
I can not remember the last time a book gave me cause to laugh-out-loud in public. However, "Crap Days Out" did just that, so much so that I was receiving some very peculiar looks on the underground, when I could not help but laugh-out-loud while reading the part about the dolphins. This book is a rib-tickling and insightful piece of comic genius!
on 21 August 2013
What a waste of a day. I would rather have visited some of the attractions then spend my time reading this book. The person on the cover had obviously read the book, hence the expression. The theory behind this book is good and some of the attractions lend them self just by their title to humour but it was an opportunity missed.
on 6 September 2012
For anybody who's ever not enjoyed a day out in the UK the premise of this book is almost irresistible.

Sadly the premise is about all the authors have made any effort with. The content is written in the mock-resigned, vanilla cynical style of bad Sunday newspaper columns and internet forums. After a few entries, all written in the same tone with the same witless whining and obvious punchlines, the style is both tiresome and tiring.

Most of the entries could have been written without ever visiting the places in the question. A quick browse of the attraction's web site, a google for reviews and that's all the content that's in each piece; there's no insight into why people visit or why the places are still running, just a continual barrage of smug criticism. A good book would attempt to explore why the UK has so many awful visitor attractions but this one is content merely to mock - badly.

This is a lazy book, badly written, with little evidence of anything but the most cursory of research. It mostly fails as entertainment and fails utterly as a source of information.
on 15 August 2012
Although the author has been leads you to believe that sheffield people are known as dee dahs because neighbouring towns see them as lah di dah, rather than the true reason of notts and derbys inhabitants belief that yorkshire people pepper their language with thee and thah, it's only to make the passage more humourous... Made me wonder what else he was wrong about, but it is meant for fun not as a social commentary...