on 30 January 2004
David Markham has written a wonderfully descriptive book that is great fun to read; I couldn’t put it down. This fine work effortlessly interweaves Napoleon’s life as a political figure/ruler with his adventures and conquests on the battlefield and in the bedroom. Napoleon’s Road to Glory, filled with unusual rare art, includes colorful revelations about his love for Empresses Josephine and Marie-Louise, as well as his relationships with a succession of mistresses. A terrific gift -- perfect for collectors as well as anyone interested in a clear, comprehensive overview of Napoleon’s life and career. Includes exciting, vivid descriptions of the "little Corporal’s" victories at Marengo, Austerlitz and other battles. Just don’t start reading this at bedtime, like I did, if you expect to get any sleep.
on 27 February 2005
Having read many Napoleonic books I found this to be one of the most refreshing.Like many other books it states the hisortical facts (which I believe the author to be very accurate in), but unlike other authors he states his opinions over specific events. Most of which I agreed with and some I did not! I find reference books handy for research but believe an author that offers up views for debate a necessity to any potential historian. I only wish there were more books of this kind!!