Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Learn more

on 15 March 2018
Written for the American market and somewhat dated being pre-referenda, independence and EU, this is nevertheless a useful informative wee book. The section non history is concise and very helpful. Not so parts on religion. Presbyterianism is not rule by the members of the congregation but by a plurality and parity of elders. The Free Church did not recently rejoin the established Church of Scotland.Also Burns wrote plenty about religion, The Cotter's Saturday Night etc.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 28 November 2009
As an expatriate Scot who grew up near Glasgow I found this book, although often aimed at American tourists, a very informative source of stuff I should have known but didn't. It is wide ranging and does a fantastic job of condensing centuries of history and achievement into short interesting passages and gives a wealth of source material for those who wish to make a deeper study. The insights into the Scottish character and social mores are amazing. In fact I only now realise that the way that I have dealt with business all my life is exactly as described in this short guide. If you are my client you are a member of my family and I expect to be a member of yours. I wish I had known that when I started out. Would have saved a lot of heartache all round.
I also felt the writer although not Scottish, had a fond admiration and respect for the people of Scotland and had clearly done his homework. They should get this into the schools if only to make history lessons more interesting and accessible. A great stocking filler for all my relatives at home and abroad.
on 5 December 2009
It's good to see a realistic and contemporary view of Scotland, rather than the same old schmaltzy nonsense that usually fills guide books. As a Scotsman who spent years trying to explain modern Scottish culture to Japanese visitors, I am well aware of the cliched views many people have before visiting Scotland. It's important that Scotland can be seen as the modern and exciting country that is truly is, rather than some caber-tossing tartan themepark. Unfortunately, the patriotic brigade in Scotland perpetuate this embarrasing stereotype which hides a vibrant modern culture. Hopefully, books such as this will help Scotlands' true character be recognised and enjoyed by all visitors.
on 18 October 2009
This is a woefully bad book. Full of inaccuracies, spelling mistakes and downright misinformation. But then would you get fair and even-handed if you set a Frenchman to write such a book about England?