on 7 September 2017
I have now finished reading this book. It has been most helpful.
on 25 July 2015
lovely and informative book
on 24 April 2010
This is a great little book and very useful for travellers to Ghana. It gives real insight into the everyday life of people in Ghana. It also contains useful factual information about the country. I bought it after returning from a trip to Ghana and wished that I had bought it before going. It would have helped me to understand the people and their traditions. I am now using it in a school as a resource for the teachers, and others have commented on its usefulness. Worth buying for its price alone.
on 17 August 2010
An essential read if considering travelling to Ghana, we read this little book on the flight to Ghana. Its right on the nose, it describes the people and their culture to a tee, and enabled us to avoid insulting people unintentionally. When we had finished reading the book, we gave it to two others who travelled in our group as we had observe them doing things that Ghanians find offensive/rude/insulting, such as offering the left hand to receive a bracelet, accepting items they bought with the left hand, and not removing shoes when entering a home/business such as seamstress. When we had all read it, i offered it to our host family to read and asked them to tell us if it was all true or if they disagreed with any of it. they agreed it was ALL true, even the bits they'd rather had not been written.
on 14 July 2009
Have just received my copy of Ian Utley's book and must say it is excellent both in its own right and as a companion to Philip Briggs book on Ghana (Bradt Guides). Speaking as a frequent visitor to Ghana, if you are planning a visit there, make sure you take this book!
on 27 July 2010
Having been to Ghana 7 times and being inducted as a queenmother before I read this book I thought I knew all about Ghanaian culture. This book has confirmed lots of things I already knew, and enlightened me on lots of things I didn't know. Anyone planning a first time visit to Ghana should read this book. It is a wonderful country and knowing about their culture before you go will only improve the experience of a visit there.
on 19 July 2010
This book is an absolute must even if you think that you know Ghana, it is funny and very true at the same time. I have had quite a few hours of fun with Ghanaian friends reading this book. Go for it. Nyame adom.
on 8 March 2010
this is really good, some superb insights to the country. Will try other culture smarts for future trips.
on 3 April 2013
I would recommend this book to anyone planning to visit Ghana, who has already been there or who has Ghanaian friends.
It gives useful and entertaining information on where to go, what to do and eat, and how to get on well with the friendly Ghanaians.
The author's knowledge and love of the country shine out of the writing.
on 17 April 2011
I've been to Ghana 10 times on various development projects, and I rate this book extremely highly.
It's small, durable, interesting, funny, unpretentious, easy to read, and very useful.
Anyone going to Ghana should read it. I have given away about 6 copies to friends and colleagues. Everyone loves it.