Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Alice Cooper Learn more Fitbit

on 28 April 2015
Exactly as advertised and arrived promptly.
on 23 April 2001
This is the final volume in a four-book series. I've been waiting eagerly for this to publish - and had the book pre-ordered so it would arrive as soon as humanly possible. The whole series has had me absolutely gripped from the start, and this final volume is no exception. The story picks up where the last volume (Mountain of Black Glass) left off, and all the favourite characters are there. The plot twists and turns through some touching and terrifying scenes. There are some very clever and unexpected connections and links - and the result is compulsive reading. It had me torn in two directions - I wanted to read the book as quickly as possible, as the characters and structure are so compelling. On the other hand, I was enjoying the book so much I wanted to savour every word, so I kept trying to slow down by rationing myself to 50pp a day. I failed miserably and read the final 450pp yesterday. Wondeful stuff.
on 28 April 2001
One of the few authors I buy in hardback (ever since To Green Angel Tower), this was a truly addictive series, like many others I pre-ordered this to make sure I got my fix as quickly as possible!
From the moment you pick the book up, you are completely immersed. Tad Williams writes such complex stories that the denouement takes up at least 300 pages. Thats what's so addictive, you can feel the conclusion coming yet there's another few hundred pages to go.
When you finish any of Tad Williams' books, you have to come down again - the immersion is so complete. You almost start thinking as if you were one of the characters.
Juts one warning though - your arms will be aching by the time you've finished this!
on 5 June 2001
I didn't want this book to end. Each of the characters of Otherland have become a part of my life through the course of this series and in this book, I finally had to say goodbye. Williams plays fair in this book, bringing all of the subplots together for a conclusion that leaves you saying "how'd he do that?" When some of the series' nagging questions are finally answered, you do not feel Williams is answering them simply because he must. Each revelation is its own beautiful, frightening and tragic event, all of which, I discovered, had been worth waiting for. If I have a complaint, it is that while the ending as a whole is satisfying, the individual endings and final confrontations for some of the characters seemed anti-climatic and unsatisfying. Especially when compared to the slam-bang apocalyptic showdown which concluded Volume Three. A subplot is also introduced at the end involving Mr. Sellars and something he's created which I felt was awkward and possibly unnecessary.
Overall, however, the book is an astounding success and I fervently hope that Mr. Williams will take us into this universe and the lives of these characters again someday.
on 3 May 2001
This is the long-awaited last part of four exciting books. The first was so surprising and thrilling that I immediately read the second one. The third was bought expecting it to be the last one in this series. It was not. This fourth and last book in the Otherland series finally answers all questions and still manages to be as exciting as the first one. Unfortunately I can't tell much about the plot because it would only spoil the fun for all the people who still have to read it. But so much can be said: A fitting and well-written ending for a gigantic story.
on 26 April 2001
There are some books that manage to set your scalp tingling at the climax. The scale of this series is such that the last 300 pages of this book will hold you in that state. All the characters slide into place as the story reaches a superbly crafted climax. This series moves into joint #1 place in my list of all time favourite books (the other being Snow Crash, by Neil Stephenson). I really can't think of much more to say other than read the series. It also includes one of the oddest heroes in any book, ever. Fantastic.
on 1 August 2001
Well, after five years i couldn't envisage a better ending for the story. It was just superb, William ideas are so startlingly original it scary. surly Dread is one of the greatest villans ever conceived (although his undoing was slightly lame). Sellars' past was unbeleiable and the Other itself -i never saw that coming. Giant- Braim in a Satellite. Wow. The way the charcters finally connected and the happy ending for Orlando's family really made this book for me, that and TB4 in general. Roll on Tad's next opus.
on 16 August 2002
I stayed up until 5am this morning finishing this book, and am now rather upset that I did so. As another reviewer has mentioned, it's difficult not to think like the characters in the book (Wicked Tribe!) and my head is full of lines and thoughts about the whole series. The many different story lines are tied up neatly, and there is no Spielberg ending, but already I feel myself missing the characters (Williams certainly has given us enough time to bond with them!) and wish that I hadn't finished the book.
I think reviewing a book like this is a little silly - if you've read the first three, it's unlikely you'll want to stop now; and if it's not your cup of tea, you wont have got this far! Suffice it to say that I greatly enjoyed the whole series and this last offering most of all. Chizz.
on 22 April 2001
This was a fantastic ending to the otherland series! Every conspiracy and mystery unwrapped to my total satisfaction. This book is so well researched and so imaginative it is overwhelming. You can really relate to the characters, and some of the twists at the end were so unexpected! A disturbingly realistic idea of where mankind is heading and a truly ingenius book.
on 4 May 2002
A mostly strong and absorbing conclusion to the series, with all the subplots finally wound together. The book has a few weak points - which is why it only gets 4 stars - but these are only minor flaws.
It has one of the best representations of a villain (Jongleur) I've seen in a science fiction book - believeable, understandable and completely loathsome, the kind of person you pray you'll never become. It has some very fine writing, including one particularly powerful scene that made me cry. And it continues its theme of 'if virtual life becomes indistinguishable from real life, how will we know what is real?'- to the point where some characters discover that they were searching for the unreal.
I would strongly advise that you read the other 3 volumes first, as this is really the last quarter of an extremely long (3000 page) novel, rather than part of a series. I would also say that this truly mammoth read is well worth it.