Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 February 2004
In 1977, George Lucas unleashed on an unexpecting world a little known movie known as Star Wars. Astounding cinema goers around the world, it broke box office records and made dedicated fans for years to come.
This version of Lucas's story, reprinted and including a new Introduction from the acclaimed writer / director, tells the classic story of Luke Skywalker, a young man who's destiny is changed dramatically and is thrown into the titanic struggle between the Galactic Empire and the freedom fighters of the Rebel Alliance.
The story is told in a descriptive, flowing manner and grips the reader from the start, and gives more of an insight into the story, especially some background into the characters that were not shown in the movie. As a fan of the movie, or otherwise, I sincerely recommend this to anyone with an interest in science fiction.
The Force, you may say, is strong with this one...
on 23 November 2010
I first read this book ...a long time ago..in a galaxy far, far ...sorry, just kidding. The book is amazing. One of the best reads ever. I still remember reading it as a teenager when the film originally came out.

This a review of the original 1977 Star Wars, A New Hope Novel, which includes, revolutianary at the time, colour stiils from the film.

There are differences between the flim and book, but it follows the movie step for step all the way through. There is Luke observing the freighter and Vader's warship through his binoculars at the beginning of the book and Luke racing into Anchorhead and then meeting Biggs. These scenes were cut from the movie, but still exist as out-takes. There is also an out-take which shows Han sitting in the cantina with a lady friend, before Greedo joins him (though this is not in the book).

This book made me think that you could really ride into town, hire a space ship and fly off to other worlds accompanied by your robots, space villians, Princesses, aliens and wise man (Jedi). I've not met many people who did not drop their jaws when they first saw the film - now it's all nothing special.

This is a real addition to the film and well worth a read by any fan. The style of writing is fast and pacy and really stirs your imagination. One of the all time favourites.
on 16 March 1999
I LOVE this book. I have always been a reader, but it usually takes me a long time. This book was easily finished in 2 days, just about a record. The detail just engulfs the reader. You can see everything. It's about 20 times better than the movie. Even if you are not a Star Wars fan, this book can easily make you one. The only downfall is that the famous "Help Me, Obi-Wan Kenobi" speech by Princess Leia has been altered. Even though, this book is an absolute must for any age. (I know, being only 16.) What else can I say? AMAZING!!!!
on 12 July 2012
I had always watched the film. Have never read the book. So bought it to see if it matches the movie. Item was in new condition and arrived very quickly. Well protected in a cardboard packaging. Very happy with the purchase.
on 1 May 1999
This is a great book of a great film and i give it top marks because it is an epic movie of good vs. evil and I recommend that anybody pick up this book, because I garuntee that you will enjoy it if you enjoyed the film.
on 28 July 2013
As a child, this was the book that kicked off my passion for reading. It was my Harry Potter. I had already seen and loved the film but the novel was the first 'grown up' book I ever read and inspired a lifetime of reading.
on 12 November 1998
If I enjoyed the movie I got crazy for the book! There are lots of scenes that the movie didn't show and all of them with great realism and precision! I'll surely buy the sequel, and I hope it will be as good as this. I also red the italian translation of this book, but the original version is even better. In one word, if you want to live a fantastic adventure in your mind, you can't miss this book.
on 4 January 1999
This book is not just read - it is experienced. It beckons you to a whole new galaxy, a used, familar used past - a futuristic one.
The characters of the movies that became the first cinematic phenomana are calling to you. Join them and their crusade, a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away....
on 18 April 2000
This is one of the best books I've ever read. George Lucas goes here beyond any type of movie, letting you to free your mind and taking you to never-before seen places. If you like the movies you'll enjoy this novel.
on 28 May 2005
this book was fantastic i would sometimes not get a wink of sleep because the book and the storyline as i say is fantsstioc and ignore the other reviewers.