Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 October 2000
I had been waiting eagerly to read David Gemmell's first novel with a female viewpoint character. In his male-viewpoint novels, this author often has compelling female characters. So I expected something really special. Alas, the storyline differed little from the type of historical novel in which a young woman is a ruler's heiress and has to fight to ascertain her claim. She's a bit more assertive, a bit more aggressive than the average historical heroine, but that's it. The flashback scene to where the heroine was trapped in snow really jarred with me. If I was inside an airpocket amidst a lot of snow and had to survive for as long as possible, my priority would be air. The last thing I would do was to light a match for light and warmth and thus waste oxygen. Yet she is celebrated for her cleverness of keeping herself warm and cosy with a single match. It's a good story, pleasant escapist reading. But if you are looking for compelling situations like in David Gemmell's Legend or Lion of Macedon, then this book would not be the first one I recommend.
on 25 October 2012
As always a David Gemmell read is an experience and always very cleverly written. The story gripped me from beginning to end. It was very graphic in places and at times somewhat bloodthirsty, but the plot was sublime and though I looked for story sections that were not explained later in the book, as I always do, there were none and no holes. Terrific book.
on 15 June 2004
The Ironhand's Daughter is a great tale in the Heroic Fantasy genre well worthy of the British fantasy author David Gemmell's renown. Like most of the author's books; It's a gripping tale with vivid narratives, and intriguing characters. This is adult Fantasy at it's best where both the best and worst in human nature can be found. Where a true hero's can arise from a defeated people in the times of need, to face a cruel and oppressive occupational force bent on creating "Hell-on-Earth" to further their leader's need for personal glorification and power.
on 17 February 2005
I have read nearly all the Gemmell books, this has to be one of my favourites. David Gemmell has to be one of the best writers of all time, if you have read any of his other books you will like this one.
on 30 July 2013
Another classic from the late great Mr Gemmell. Since his untimely death, and seeing as I hadn't read all of his work, I have restricted myself to one of his books a year,

Five stars for this one, and if you've never read a Gemmell novel start right here. You will be transported to another world, though a rather familiar one, (he hints at a similarity to 12th century Scotland in a round about way.) with action, twists, and all the usual quality that came from his pen.

A master of his genre at his best.
on 11 August 1999
As a Gemmill fan I took time to get around to this book, reading some of his more recent novels before tracking this one down. In many ways it is more enjoyable than his more polished recent offerings such as Echoes of the Great Song. Like all Gemmill books this is easy to read and runs at a good pace with most characters having been fleshed out really well. The battle scenes are superbly narrated and there are one or two plot mechanics that will we leave you wondering 'why can't I think of things like that.' If you have'nt read this yet do so!
on 23 July 2009
If you enjoyed The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings or any other fantasy type novels, then you simply must give David Gemmell a chance. He wrote many books, based around particular 'worlds' which make up a series. Sadly he died a few years ago so these excellent books won't be supplemented in the future. I firmly believe him to be the very best fantasy author of recent times and strongly urge you to give him a try. He links accepted historical information and moulds it into fiction in such a way that it is very believable and draws you into that world. You really won't be dissapointed.
on 21 March 2007
Personally with me and this book and I found it great and I even felt like cheering on all the characters in it. I'm happy with how it ended as with all of David Gemmell's books. He never leaves and ends untied even when this is the first book of two. I laughed, cried and cheered my heart out when reading it, but unfortunately no one wanted to listen to me speak about how great it was. A very good read.
on 1 March 2013
What a fantastic book.... it hits the spot!! Fascinating characters and a great story with great hidden undertones... can't wait to read the next one
on 3 February 2013
David Gemmell is a "cant put down" writer this book hust charges along from start to finish, The plot and characters are magnificent