TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 29 November 2017
Of all the Drenai books, this one is the least memorable. That isn't a comment on the quality of this novel, because as you can see from the star rating of this review, it is excellent. It just means that becaus of this fact, I am always pleasantly surprised to be sucked into this story.

The forgettable flaw, if I can indeed call it that, lies in the fact that this novel falls short of the larger than life memorable characters from his other novels. There's no Druss, no Tenaka Khan (at least as a protagonist), and no Waylander. Whilst the characters are all solid, believable, and in their own right characters that you want to read about, their names are forgotten to me until I pick up this book yet again and read through it once more.

However, as I said, I am not sure I can even call that a flaw. Just because names are forgettable does not mean that the story is. This is an excellently written tale detaialing a simple quest for a group of hereoes whose best days are behind them and a boy who is innocent enough to try the impossible.

As always the true strength of David Gemmell's work likes in the complexities of his characters and the harsh and honest look at what it really means to be a hero.

Also, as usual, the common flaw in David Gemmell's stories pops up; the romances elements. Actually, no, it's unfair to call that a flaw because Gemmell writes in a way that creates a genuine amount of attachment and depth of feeling for me as a reader that I root for these romances to succeed. Where I find criticism is in how quickly his characters fall in love. It is a slight flaw from an otherwise near flawless writer, but one I felt worth mentioning.

Overall, another 5-star outing for this incredible series.
on 9 December 2016
An absorbing read that pulls you along from page to page, with a more complex plot than some other Gemmell books and well-developed characterisations. I liked that the main characters were flawed, although I did find it odd that two of the characters ended up together when they were virtually strangers. I agree with another reviewer who thought the ending was a bit abrupt, although Gemmell does leave us with a cliffhanger in the Epilogue, which I hope is resolved in the next book (Waylander II).
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 5 November 2014
Quest for Lost Heroes follows the paths of four former soldiers Chareos, Beltzer, Finn and Maggig. They were the only survivors of a battle against the Nadir, the only battle the Nadir Khan Tenaka ever lost. The battle changed them all, Chareos tried to become a priest, Beltzer became a drunk and Finn and Maggig became recluses. It takes a random act of cruelty and bravery to bring them back together, the abduction of a village girl by slavers and the determination of a boy in love with her Kiall, to rescue her.

Although eventually the book does intertwine these events into the much bigger scheme of the Drenai history Gemmell weaves, I rather like the small quest these characters originally embark on though their reasons differ.

Each of the characters though supposedly heroes are flawed, they're just regular men who are occasionally selfish, greedy or stupid. Gemmell gives them a nice level of depth to keep them interesting.

Other than that this is typical Gemmell heroic fantasy, bit crude and the treatment of women tends to be heavy handed but the great action and combat mixed with interesting characters do help pull it through. If you've been reading the Drenai series this is a worthy entry.

+ Small quest that weaves into the Drenai tapestry nicely.
+ Flawed heroes are a nice change of pace.
+ Excellent action and combat.
on 13 October 2002
The Quest for Lost Heroes is the best Drenai Novel yet. The story line magnificent and the twists and turns makes it a thrilling read. The idea of the four heroes of Belazar going on a quest to save a Pig-breeders daughter and then it turning in to a quest that will change the entire world if they succeed is magnificent. There are no faults with this book. It is the most enthralling book I have ever read
on 26 July 2017
Another solid book in the Drenai saga. As most of the books in the series, it starts slowly but picks up speed and by the time you get to 70% it explodes and wish you were at 20% not 70%! Alas that is not possible and you devour the last pages, discovering the tragic fate (for some) of the characters.

Mr Gemmell certainly likes to dwelve into human emotions and exploit the extremities. He's done that in all of his books, but in this one and the previous chronological one he went full on.

Even though our beloved characters from Legend are done are dusted (are they? :D), Gemmell always manages to invent new ones that are no inferior to the first ones and I absolute love that. I just can't lower my ratings for these books!
on 31 August 2014
I just finished re-reading this great book and saw there were no reviews on here. Allow me to remedy that!

I love David Gemmell. He's my favourite author. Even so, this book was still a pleasant surprise when it unexpectedly blew me away. This review is going to be light on detail, but to the point. Buy this book!

It doesn't have any of his "big name" characters in it (other than a short cameo). But even with no Drusses, Waylanders or Shannows, this is still one of the best of the Drenai corpus, and his work as a whole. It presents familiar Gemmell characters and themes, but in a pleasingly different way. For example, the axeman Beltzer is a dark twist on his "big, boisterous guy" character, and the old, world-weary guy is given more of a centre-stage role in this book with Chareos.

Other than the slight twists on his usual style, this is a classic Gemmell. Great characters you don't want to mess with, loads of action and doing the right thing even when it's painful. And I'm saying it here and now, this book contains the best heroic last stand David Gemmell ever wrote. He wrote a lot of those. Just think about that one for a second.

Quest for Lost Heroes. A surprise knockout for me. Hopefully it will be for you as well.
on 9 March 2017
Brought as a present, she loves it
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 25 November 2000
A better book of fantasy I have not read, lots of twists and turns, some wonderfully crafted action pieces. An excellent sequel to the king beyond... a wonderful page turner, finished the book far too quickly though, would have liked a few more pages.
on 9 June 2011
Ever since reading David Gemmell's 'Troy' series of books I have been hooked on Gemmell as an author. I have since begun to read all of his books and the Drenai books are simply wonderful reads.

I was originally unsure about whether to read the Drenai books as I've never been a huge fan of heroic fantasy - however given just how much I enjoyed the Troy books and the wonderful writing style of David Genmmell I decided to try them. I am so pleased that I did and I have now read nearly all of Gemmell's books and urge anyone considering the books to do it, you will not be disappointed.

All of the books are great and can be read as stand alone books or in order. The characters are wonderfully bought to life, there's love, romance, humour, twists & turns, betrayal, revenge, heroes, villains, sorcery, savagery, battles, noble deeds and you will simply fall into the world the Gemmell creates for you. These books deserve to be read and its a an absolute tragedy that Gemmell is no longer with us.
on 7 January 2000
This Drenai tale is not as well put together as any of his other books. Gemmell does not built the characters the way he normally does, but still an enjoyable read.