Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 May 2017
I have always been skeptical of reading books of films. Film adaptations usually spoil the wonderful constructs of the imagination giving unfamiliar voices and pictures to the wonderful landscapes of the mind. To make things worse film adaptations often resort to ommitting important story arcs (Tom Bombadil from LOTR for example), where length detail and pace is substituted for action to retain the viewers interest.

2001 was always a hauntingly wonderful classic that had been replicated numerous times in other science fiction. Rewatching it feels like every cliche in a single film only because ever other film has begged, borrowed and taken from this epic master piece. Navel gazing aside this book doesnt disappoint. The writing is excellent and well paced and retells the story in greater detail and ways that frankly a film cannot. I've always tried to view the tension between film and books as a "re-telling", and Clarke hits the mark here. The characters have far greater depth the spacescapes are given wonderful descriptions. It is evident this book was given considerable thought and it exceeded my expectations of just a glorified screen play.

It is borderline criminal that 2010 and the other sequals are not yet available on the kindle. However those who find this book fascinating as I did may also wish to explore the Rama series. Certainly the first two or three books are excellent and share the aprehensive tension that is so beautifully crafted in 2001 and its sequels. Though they dont come close to the enchanting phrases of Bowman and HAL.

"My God...it's full of stars..."
on 19 July 2017
It feels like I've had this book sat on the shelf forever. I knew it was on the 1001 Books to Read... list but I said I wasn't a sci-fi fan, so I avoided it. Deciding it was about time I read it, I picked it up... and was hooked from page one. I didn't think I've ever watched the movie, but I have a picture in my mind of apes circling the monolith, and HAL's voice talking to Dave was also familiar, so maybe I did. I need to watch it (again?). Fantastic book, I shouldn't steer clear of this genre in future!
on 2 August 2017
Arthur C Clarke always brings out the science in science fiction and this is no exception. If you have seen the movie then be advised that in many respects the book is different and so much better for it.

I like the way that the author uses hard science to convey the wonder of the cosmos. Truly awe inspiring.
on 31 May 2017
Possibly my favourite science-fiction novel since childhood. I can still remember waiting for the film to be released and have owned a copy since then. so good now to have it on Kindle.
on 30 July 2017
After many years this still reads as a masterpiece, I wish the follow on books were available on kindle. Thank you
on 4 August 2017
Best reading experience i've had in a long time.Shocking that this small book was written so long ago and be so realistic with it's fantasy. Would recommend anyone remotely into sci-fi.
on 20 May 2017
Excellent
on 27 October 2015
Now I finally get the film!
on 9 June 2015
A Classic. Can't believe how this story, written before space travel had barely commenced, evokes such a modern concept. Brilliant.
on 11 April 2017
This really helped me understand the film. It is a good read, really recommend it.